Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU Utilization

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jester_XJ12

Jester_XJ12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

This has me stumped. I have a PC which, per task manager, is constantly running the System process (not System Idle) at 100%. I have at one time or another disabled every start item and any non essential services. Strangely it also runs System @ 100% when booting from a Bart's PE disk (UBCD4 Win). I know what you are thinking: hardware. I booted to a linux live cd and the processor ran fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

so im guessing that you prcecses are puting you cpu to 100%

its probibly tons of un needed proceses.

try a scan with your antivirus.

(thats all i can think of)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

This might help pinpoint the problem
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Jester_XJ12

Jester_XJ12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

Good call using Process Manager. I narrowed it down to a thread within System named USBPort.sys+0x6086. I unplugged external, front panel USB cables with no joy. I also extracted a fresh usbport.sys to system32.

I will try to roll back the usbport.sys to the sp2 version next. In the mean time, any other ideas?

#5 Jester_XJ12

Jester_XJ12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

I was able to find the offending thread from the System process as usbport.sys which would run near 100% of the CPU. The system would return to normal when I suspended it.

After some searching, I found a reference that suggested that I might be hardware related. Since I have replaced or disconnected everything but the motherboard, I have ordered a new one and will replace it. More soon.

#6 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Check which software is running when you get the 100% CPU load. With earlier versions of Comodo Firewall, i experienced 100% CPU load os "System" process while running Comodo.

So, load of "System" process can be caused by running software, even if you don't see in task manager that this software is taking much CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users