Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console Help please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justpush

justpush

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'll try to ask for help to solve one problem at a time.
It's virus related but at the moment,
I can't get past the welcome XP screeen even if I open it in safe mode.
It lets me log onto administrator or my name but just saves the settings and recycles to the same screen.

So I've followed the instructions in

Xp Boot "fixes",
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

and

How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

I've made an ISO CD (as I cant find the original windows XP CD.)
Run it and got The recovery console working as far as a black screen which looks like the old MS dos screens.
I've got a command of
C:\>

but I dont know what to do next.
I've tried to type in chkdsk /f /r but just get the parameter is not valid.

Sorry I'm not very techy, as the say the dumbest question is the one you've not asked.

Please can someone help me
Thanks Trish.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi there, justpush, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It would be helpful to have some more info on your precise problem. You say it's virus related, what makes you think so? What symptoms, if any, other than not being able to log in have your noticed?

#3 justpush

justpush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hi Andrew thanks for the wlecome and reply.

The history is that yesterday some nasty virus, turned off my firewall, I got it back on but I think some mare nasty stuff got through, as later I had some error message on googleupdates not being properly installed, then today saw google searches going off to spurious web sites, plus I couldn't run many programmes.

I did mange to get a Hijack log run and also eventually run a malwarebyte programme, which detected several trojan viruses. It was when it asked me to restart the pc to remove a file it couldn't delete, that all the additional programmes started.
:thumbsup:

I'll be happy to get past the locked XP welcome page and access the log files, to post them in the right forum. But more importantly back up some of my work files.
As I said one step at a time. :flowers:

Trish.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

Have you tried invoking the "Last Known Good Configuration" option which is available from the same screen as Safe Mode?

#5 justpush

justpush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

Hi Andrew
Yes I already had tried last config option.
no luck with that

#6 tcgtechnician

tcgtechnician

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer is this? Brand and Model number would help. Also, desktop or laptop.

#7 justpush

justpush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Desktop.
built by a company who are no longer trading
FWIW.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Chkdsk has a number of switches which can be used...but it depends on where the command is run from as to which switch is proper.

The correct command you want to run is: chkdsk /r (with space between the k and the /). This includes all of the procedures executed during either chkdsk /p (RC) or chkdsk /f (command prompt).

Including the /f switch is redundant when typing/using the /r switch, since the processes to be performed by chkdsk /r include all those performed by chkdsk /f. Furthermore, the /f switch only applies to running chkdsk from the command prompt...when running it from the Recovery Console, chkdsk /f becomes chkdsk /p.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/x...commandline.htm

If you just remember to run chkdsk /r, you won't have to pay attention to whether you are in the RC or operating from within XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users