Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Connection probs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mellish

mellish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Okay - my machine was fine until last week. Now every time I put the cable in the little green light goes orange and I am unable to see any connection.

Please advise me.

The only thing I did between was run some registry fixes and install panda antivirus - which won't uninstall or run now. Have undone reg fixes but still no joy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

have you tried a system restore or uninstalling the device entirely from system manager > device properties then readding?

#3 mellish

mellish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

Yup - no joy with system restore. Just won't restore.

Tells me to pick another restore point - but none work.

And have uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC and broadcom adapter which does nothing. Are these the right things? Green light is on until I plug the cable in and then goes orange- back to green if I take out the cable.

Please any help

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

Have you tried the cold-reset on the router or the cable modem itself?
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 mellish

mellish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

Thanx

Yes. First thing I tried.

My flatmates connection is fine, so not the router. Cables fine too - have checked this.

Any ideas?

#6 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

well when asking other people for help it would help us if we knew what your modem/router was - ie. what model is it and is it connected via usb etc.

if you have any other usb devices connected try unplugging them, such as scanners etc. as I've had conflicts before when trying to get a speedtouch usb adsl modem working when a scanner was causing the conflict... the lights were green also then went back to orange.

so try unplugging any other usb devices to see if they are what is causing the problem.

also, depending on your modem there may be a switch on the side of it or underneath, try flicking that to the opposite of what it is already. good luck :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users