Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Legend that is Starcraft

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 istbar

istbar

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Greetings fellow Starcraft fans!

I recently rediscovered my copy of Starcraft after forgetting about it in a deep dark drawer for the better part of the last decade. :flowers: It's reappeance stirred up fond memories of LAN games and battle.net; a simpler time, before high-speed connections were widespread, TiVo and Antivirus 2009.
After running a few Google searches, I was stoked to find out that Starcraft 2 has been in development for a while and should be released <sometime this year - hopefully?!?> :thumbsup:

I installed SC and began playing the single player campaign, immediately being transported back to highschool and so many wasted hours.
Here I am a week later, and I have lost the disc! :trumpet:

Anyone have any ideas?

Blizzard's website states that the disc is no longer required, but I need the install.exe to rename for this purpose. Needless to say, this is safely stored on the disc that is eluding me.

So! I welcome suggestions for alleviating my pain, sharing stories/hints/tricks/tips, or discussion of SC2.

istbar
'You tried and you failed. The lesson is never try.'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

yea am in high school and all i do is play star craft and next that at school am half asleep lol
umm yea you need the disc and when you find it go on b net and update and then the rename the install file
with out it ur stuffed so u better find it and when u make a acc on star craft tell me lol i vs ya

there is other ways but i get in touble for saying it and all

#3 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but thought I'd ask anyway.

What do you usually play? What kind of strategy do you use?

istbar

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

all i play is star craft
but once a week or some thing i play swat 4
i uesd to play star wars jedi knight jedi out cast a lot but thats when i was a kid so games can last hours on a kid lol

and one strategy i use is put to two barracks on the place where the entry to the base is so it blocks it off then put tanks and marines back of the barracks and one i use some times is when i fly a trasnpot ship into some base full of marines and medics

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

wow i thought i was the only one who ever played jedi knight dark forces series in high school. lol I still have one disk for the dark forces II game but i dont have the second so i cant reinstall it :thumbsup: jedi outcast was cool, though i have to say ive never tried starcraft unfortunatly.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

Well, if its anything like Diablo II:LOD patch that came out not too long ago you just need it patched and a file or two off the disk into your SC directory. I'm sure you could get some one on SC to email you the file. I'd do it myself but I do not have SC any more.

Any way you can get your hands on the disk is how you can re-obtain the file, but of course on this site I have to recommend AGAINST torrents and warez and such. For obvious reasons (Illegal, virus etc....)

I have a couple of friends who have it, let me see if I cant get the file off of them and send it too you. Hang tight for a bit or you can add my MSN (PM me for it I don't want every one else getting it too...)

I might just send you the file, I have been thinking about purchasing it too (last game for my blizz collection ^^)

Reason for Edit: Typos

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 12 February 2009 - 11:05 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

That sounds like just the ticket Alpha! I recommend your buying it, an excellent manual (as usual) from Blizzard. If you're a fan, I strongly recommend it. I have a problem buying it a second time (even if it is only $10 or so these days); I paid $70+ dollars for it originally...

Let me know if you get ahold of it and we'll secure a means of transfer.

istbar

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Got a little bad news istbar...

I did a little research on this and the file "install.exe" is about 545MB which is too large for an email attachment.

Unless you have any other ideas for transferring this file
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#9 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Gar! FTP is all I can think of...I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and pay for it *sigh*

Thanks for your consideration though!

istbar

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Well its only about 10 $ a disk so its not too bad

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

lol i was gonna say
what the hell you know how big that file is lol
i dont play jedi knight dark forces series since i dont havei only played the demo BUT there still selling it at disk simth for like 5 bucks
i thought it likes 15 years old and there still selling it lol and they still selling star wars galetic battle grounds lOL

#12 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

Bwaha! The gaming gods are smiling on me this morning! I found the disk over the weekend, and now I can obtain the install.exe file. Sweet!
Thanks for the support guys and happy gaming.

So, SC2? What do you think? I'm looking forward to that...scratch that...I'm freakin' stoked for it to come out! I spend more time running searches for it then I do working these days...lol
Anybody have an opinion??

istbar

#13 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Haha glad to hear it istbar!

To be honest I wasn't all that impressed after playing a demo of SC, I dunno why I just couldn't get into it. But I definitely plan of picking up a copy of SC 2 it looks amazing!

Although I am more of an RPG fan *cough*D3*cough*

#14 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Man, back in '98, SC was the pinnacle of RTS and graphics gaming. Now it looks like a piece of crap on a modern system...still fun as hell to play though. It's too bad you didn't get hooked. Well, maybe a great thing, cuz I wasted a lot of time playing. But I guess you waste time playing one game or another anyway. Yeah, it is too bad you didn't get hooked :thumbsup: (sorry,was looking for an appropriate emoticon, thought this one was just bad-ass...hehe)

Hells yeah D3! I'm just as stoked to play that one. The demo videos and everything I've read look pretty awesome! Great lighting effects (even if they're not as dark as D1 - that's ok in my book), the spells look wicked. I'm just wondering about the character classes. Is it just the three, or are they three new ones on top of the old ones??

I'm off to work on a custom map for SC...something fun and challenging.

istbar

#15 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

make a newer temple siege map
good map
its a use map settings map