Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AQ3Helper.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.TightKilla

Mr.TightKilla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

:thumbsup: Need help. I built a computer with parts from Fry's electronics and I'm having issues with the AQ3Helper.exe. My system is an AMD Athlon XP 2400 that I have running at +3200, Shuttle AN35N Ultra v1.1 mother board. It has 1.5 gigabytes of Corsair Extreme XMS DDR400 RAM ( 3 512 sticks), Windows XP Professional operating system, nVidia FX 5200 video card (by Asylum) with 128 megabytes of RAM, DVD burner/reader, CD player, 1 250 gigabyte Seagate hard drive, 1 Western digital 100 gigabyte hard drive. I'm running McAfee's Internet security suite and Counterspy software. most times when I shut down the system, i get dialog boxes that pop up saying some particular program isn't responding and the first one is the AQ3Helper.exe program. Also, sometimes my system runs like an old 486 33 megahertz system and when I go to task manager, the AQ3Helper.exe file has the CPU running at 100% and the sytem is completely bogged down. Can anybody help me with this issue?

Thanks

Edited by Mr.TightKilla, 31 May 2005 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

aq3helper.exe - DistSoft Helper Application GAIN Publishing, Inc. AQ3Helper or DSDHelper
Adware!

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Mr.TightKilla

Mr.TightKilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for your advice and quick response.

As to your question about am I using these basic security programs, I'm using McAfees internet security suite as well as the fact that I bought and installed Counterspy software which is supposed to detect and remove such things. Did I waste my money on the Counterspy software? Or am I supposed to use the ones you listed as well as the counterspy?

Thanks again,
-Bill

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

Unlike viruses, spyware is a nebulous area, and each company seems to have different selection criteria; for that reason, have several spyware applications makes sense, because one will find spyware the other is not searching for.
The two most common applications are Ad-AwareSE and Spybot S&D. You should have, at a minimum, both of these on your computer, update their definitions on a regular bases, and scan your hard drive for spyware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 completealias

completealias

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

I would also add to the list microsoft antispyware ita in beta at the mo but is said that it will continue to be free after the test period. Its very good offers real time protection, warns of changes to IE should you use it you can find it here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

As has been said there are many different types of spyware and not all programs pick up on all of them and it is therefore best to use a combination of antispyware apps to have the best cleanup rate.

I myself use a combination of adaware, a2, spybot and ms antispyware, also keep windows update with all current patches and you anti virus + firewall updated.

If after running the programs that have been suggested you stil have the problem then download hijack this and post a log file to the hijack this forum

#6 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

another thing you can do ... i dont think anybody else
suggested it...
just dont use internet explorer anymore...

use an alternative browser

firefox
Firefox!

netscape
Netscape!

opera
Opera!

lynx
Lynx!

IE has lots of holes in it that allow unscruplous software companies
to do just whatever they please with YOUR computer!
just turn your back on IE!

Posted Image

thanks,

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users