Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming computer - Best OS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 budnoc

budnoc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hello all,

I am about to build my first gaming computer and have been able to research everything I needed for buying the best specs for my budget. I am having a problem finding information on what the best operating system would be for a system built mostly for gaming (WoW Wotlk) and internet browsing. I have been using Windows for the majority of my computing life so would want to stick with that. I know Vista has had it problems, but has come a long way. Is XP pro still considered the best gaming OS

I am not sure of the differences between a 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS as it pertains to optimal gaming specs. Any tips provided would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Well, vista has had it's problems in the past, but I've been using it for about a year now, and I am really satisfied! I thought some of the security features were a bit annoying and pointless, but I just disabled them. However, vista does use a bit more system resources. 2gb of ram would be the minimum for a basic gaming computer running vista. I was actually having some lock ups in more demanding games with only 2gb of ram, but once I installed more, I was fine.

I would recommend Vista, but that is just my opinion. There are still many other people that swear by xp (which is still a very good OS). If you want to run 64-bit however, I heard xp has it's problems. One of the best features of 64-bit is it allows you to have more than 4gb of ram and 32-bit doesn't.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 robert152

robert152

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Ummm if you are on a budget, Vista is the way to go. You can get Vista Home for $100. XP home/pro is $200/$300 respectively. Like budnoc said, 2gigs of RAM is minimum for a gaming computer on Vista. I game off and on (CoD4) and it runs fine on Vista with 2gigs.

64-bit OS, though it has been around for a bit now, is still not widely supported, so I would stick to a 32-bit OS.

Hopefully this helps.
Aude Sapere

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I do recommend Vista 64-bit if you have 4GB or more of RAM, otherwise stick to 32-bit. 64-bit refers to the amount of memory the PC can address, 32-bit can only go as high as 4GB, usually less. 64-bit also refers to the various instruction sets, most of which are more precise and efficient than 32-bit ones. 64-bit is supported, or at least compatible, with most games and applications. I've had it since Vista's launch and had only two programs refuse to work in both normal and compatibility mode, and they were deep-level security programs most users don't touch. Note that mainstream support for Windows XP will end April 14. After the mainstream support is over, extended support will continue with security hotfixes only.

3939.png

#5 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

So wait, Vista 32-bit can recognize up to 4 GB of RAM? Can it run on an E8400 processor or do I need Vista 64-bit to run that processor?

Edited by neonick, 10 February 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#6 budnoc

budnoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Seeing that my experience has always been that the amout of RAM in my system is always the first thing that gets outdated I figured I'd go with a mack daddy 64 bit system with 8+ gigs of the fastest ram I could get on my budget. I would then let technology catch up with my system. Thanks to everything I've read on these forums I realize that I wouldnt be getting many benifits by building that system specifically for gaming now.

I decided to go with an upgradeable 32-bit system with 4 gigs of RAM and 32 bit Vista. I have XP pro right now and have never have any real issues with it, but I dont like the idea of Microsoft cutting support for it this April

#7 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

I decided to go with an upgradeable 32-bit system with 4 gigs of RAM and 32 bit Vista. I have XP pro right now and have never have any real issues with it, but I dont like the idea of Microsoft cutting support for it this April

While I wish they would keep supporting XP, it is an outdated OS. I'm doing the same thing you are: 32-bit Vista Home Premium with 4 GB of RAM. I'll probably switch over to the 64-bit version if and when it gains more support.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Note that if you go with 32-bit and then decide to upgrade to 64-bit, you will have to do a clean install. Same thing will be true with Windows 7. Honestly, I don't see why anyone would use a 32-bit system for gaming since compatibility with 64-bit programs is quite high. All of my 32-bit games work with it. There are several games that can use 64-bit and its extended memory, such as Grand Theft Auto IV and The Witcher.

3939.png

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

Ummm if you are on a budget, Vista is the way to go. You can get Vista Home for $100. XP home/pro is $200/$300 respectively. Like budnoc said, 2gigs of RAM is minimum for a gaming computer on Vista. I game off and on (CoD4) and it runs fine on Vista with 2gigs.

64-bit OS, though it has been around for a bit now, is still not widely supported, so I would stick to a 32-bit OS.

Hopefully this helps.

I dont know where your buying your OSes from but your being ripped off-from newegg XP home runs for $90 and Xp professional 64 bit runs for $140 (the OEM versions for system builders) and even vista basic only runs for $90. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Vista Home Premium, which most home users should get, runs $99 at Newegg for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. XP Home 32-bit is $90, which isn't much of a difference, and XP Pro 64-bit is $40 more, which is. I still say go with Vista, especially if you're wanting Windows 7 in the future. 7 will allow for in-place upgrades from Vista but not XP/

3939.png

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

yeah thats kinda of annoying not upgrading from XP. but for gaming, especially if you want any kind of directx10 you have to use Vista, So i would say vista myself I was just pointing out roberts pricing was off. For my everyday computing/web surfing, I much prefer windows XP. I use XP home on my laptop, which really doesnt do any gaming whatsoever, and Vista ultimate on my desktop which is my gaming rig, and I also play around with linux on smaller partitions of it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users