Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ian61

Ian61

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Greetings peeps!!

I have an "old" Toshiba A40 Satellite laptop that will not get past 33% on CHKDSK /r using Windows recovery. I suspect the hard drive is corrupt and I need to re-format it. I have manufacturers recovery disks which will do this. However, before I commit myself to total erasure of files, can anyone suggest a way I can connect this laptop to a desk top machine to try and recover some of the files and photos. I'm thinking usb crossover or serial crossover or similar with some sort of remote access or file transfer program. Any suggestions are gratefully received.

Ian T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812189169

Or something similar. I have 3 of those IDE/SATA adapters strewn around the shop and I couldn't get by without them. Pull out the lappy hard drive, hook it up to the adapter and plug it in to your other machines USB, and pull whatever files you need.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users