Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus A7N8x-e deluxe mobo will not boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

I've been Using an Asus A7n8x-e Deluxe motherboard for about 8+ years without any serious problems until this past week.

my setup is:

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-e deluxe bios 1013
Videocard: ATI Radeon X850 DDR
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 2.167GHz Socket A Processor Model AXDA2700BOX (BARTON)
Ram: 3gb Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR400mhz

Last Saturday morning I went to take out an ATI Tv tuner (theater 550) pci card and then it would not turn on.

Here is the sequence of events are that may have led to the problem:

Friday night I was editing video in Windows Movie Maker which I am not that skilled with, and noticed that it was crashing and hanging a lot. It looked like it was doing a number on the cpu, but I shut it down like I normally do at night (checked some email etc, that shut it off).

Saturday morning I turn on computer and check email. I shut down the computer and decide to take out ATI tv tuner card which I am not using so that I can go into the BIOS and change the AGP setting to 256mb for the ATI x850 256mb agp card (thinking that this might help with the video-editing, I could not get the tuner card to work properly unless I put AGP on 64mb.) I take out the tv-tuner card, and go to restart computer and it won't start.

I take it apart, run tests (reseating ram) to determine the problem and all I could get were the (cpu, powersupply, graphic card) fans to spin for 1 second. I tried alternate Power Supply and it worked. I went out and bought new 400 watt PS and it still worked. I went into BIOS and changed the setting for the ram to 2-3-3-6 and let it run for atleast a half hour. By then it was late, and I put my computer back into my computer desk, hooked up all the USB related stuff (a cordless mouse), speakers, mic, keyboard etc. and it would not start again. (I was steaming mad, but went to sleep.)

Next day, I look at it again.
It would just spin the fans for 1 second.

I tried with NO RAM installed, 1 stick of Ram installed.
I tried reseting the cmos. I tried with no hard-drives. No drives.
I tried with 4 different Power supplies. I tried everything.

No matter what I did, I would see that GREEN LED LIGHT, LIGHT UP,
and then I'd press the power button and the fans spin for 1 second and then nothing!

The night before when I was in the BIOS I checked the CPU temp and it was fine.

I honestly do not know what else to look for... I was talking to some techie people that it could be a CMOS related problem...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Is the heatsink seated properly on top of the processor, and is the fan plugged in? Is this one of the fans that spins for 1 second?

This may also being a grounding issue. The case may have gotten bumped and the motherboard is now rubbing against metal. Once you turn the board on, something metal could be shorting it out. Make sure the motherboard isn't touching any metal from the case.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'll have to check on that... Yes, the cpu fan is Plugged in... and it too spins for only 1 second... It's cooler master and the light inside it lights up for a second and then goes out...

#4 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

This may also being a grounding issue. The case may have gotten bumped and the motherboard is now rubbing against metal. Once you turn the board on, something metal could be shorting it out. Make sure the motherboard isn't touching any metal from the case.

You were right!
I looked at it one more time and tried to start it. saw nothing metal. wouldn't start. Decided that I'm going to just strip it and sell the pieces.
When I go to take out the motherboard, I turn it around and right there in the center I see a screw pressed to the back of the board!

I had to reassemble and try again!

It fired up right away and now I know exactly what the problem was! thanks!
I've taken stuff out before and dropped screws; hence the problem.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Nice catch Sterling14 and good work!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Up and running again! Thanks sterling 14! I posted the same information on the Asus website and got no reply!

:thumbsup:

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Glad I could help :thumbsup: ! If you ever need more help, let us know!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users