Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

domain questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

Hi!

I'm in a group which has a domain I would like to register with a company that is both secure and cheap. I wondered if there is any information here at the site relating specifically to what one should look for when purchasing and registering a domain? I ran some tests on the company which currently registers our domain for us, and there were a few alerts that came up regarding insecurities, but I need advice as to which alerts are relevant? Should I be concerned about any and all alerts? Or are there some areas which might not fall into the area of services?

When I asked the company which registers our domain for a copy of our contract, they said we don't have a contract with them. They only register the domain for us.

Some of these pieces of information are not all settled into a picture yet for me. We purchase a domain somewhere? We register it somewhere else? We make requests to direct it at a website which may change addresses?

When people speak of services provided with a domain, what are they referring to? What makes a company which provides and a company which registers domains better or not so good? What am I looking for in the fine print?

Thanks!
Zllio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

Purchasing a domain and registering a domain are two different things. You purchase a domain name, then you need to register it with DNS servers so that people can fins your site. When people speak of handling domains for you, they simply mean that they handle registering it.

I host my own websites, so I am not familiar at all with how contracts and services are structured.

#3 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Hi groovicus,

Thanks.

I did find this article which looks helpful for some of my questions:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=463

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

I often hear the terms "register" and "purchase" used almost interchangeably with reference to buying a domain name, although neither is completely accurate - you are not buying a domain name, you are actually hiring someone to register it on your behalf from ICANN. The company you deal with to obtain a domain name is called the registrar. They handle the technical end of the reserving the name for your use. Once you have obtained the domain name, you then "point it" - enter it into the DNS system so that it points to the IP address of your web site. Generally speaking, this is handled by your registrar as well.

Key things to be on the lookout for are the stability of your registrar, their reputation, and who controls the domain name once it is registered. Additionally, you may want to look to keep your service providers seperate.

As far as stability and reputation, you want a registrar that will be around for as long as your site. It is possible to transfer your domain name from one registrar to another, however it can be a hassle. It can be a nightmare if the registrar goes out of business. I have heard of people losing access to their domains for weeks after a registrar went under.

It is important also that your registrar registers the domain to you - some registrars register the domain name to themselves, then just allow you to administer the domain name. In these cases, it may be difficult or impossible to move your domain name to another registrar, and the company may increase your rates unfairly if you want to keep the domain name from year to year. There have even been cases where a domain registered in this way became valuable and was sold by the registrar without the webmaster's consent.

Finally, it is generally wise to register your domain name with a company other than your web host. If you purchase hosting, and as part of the package also register a domain name (in this arrangement, the domain name is part of the hosting package, not a case where you get a discount on hosting after registering the domain name), if you later decide to change web hosts you may not be able to keep your domain name, or you may have to pay extra to transfer the domain name to a new registrar.

Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that the safest route is to choose a registrar whose primary business is the registration of domain names - Network Solutions, GoDaddy, and several other registrars focus primarily on domain name registration, offering hosting and e-mail services as secondary offerings. I have used both Network Solutions and GoDaddy for domain names (I currently manage over 30 for various sites) and they both offer a lot of tools for managing the domains and how they are entered into the DNS system. Both companies also reserve the domain name in the customer's name.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

i agree with the above, i personally use crazy domains but have recently been using Sitelutions.com they offer the registration of domain names and free DNS! They also have a wide range of goodies avaliable to webmasters...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#6 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Interestingly Average,
Do you know why GoDaddy is quite a bit cheaper than other companies? Are they equivalent and reliable?
Thanks for any further information you can give me.
Much appreciation.
Zllio

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

I think they are so cheap simply because they monetize parked domains and they register so many domains. I believe they are one of the largest registrars right now.

As far as I have seen, they seem fairly reliable, but I can't speak to their hosting services.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#8 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

I think they are so cheap simply because they monetize parked domains and they register so many domains. I believe they are one of the largest registrars right now.

As far as I have seen, they seem fairly reliable, but I can't speak to their hosting services.

I went in and looked up monetizing parked domains and it sounds like an industry which has developed as the result of people not respecting copyright, or that copyright doesn't apply or something.

Any thoughts on this?

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

GoDaddy is a well known and well established registrar. I have used them for years, and am quite happy with them.

Monetizing parked domains is a fancy word for describing how some people make money off of parked domains.

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

Maybe something like this should be pinned?

i have noticed a few people asking about this in the past month...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#11 davemo

davemo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Indeed i myself have been tasked with creating a website and handling all the neccessary work that goes with it for my church. So let me see if i understand this i register the domain name with a company like godaddy ,then i build my website and upload it to my hosting company. then what??? Also when i register there wont be a seperate fee to actually start using the domain will there???

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Also when i register there wont be a seperate fee to actually start using the domain will there???

Possibly. It depends on the hosting company. It won't cost you anything to use the domain once you have registered it, but it may cost to have someone register the domain with the domain name servers. I don't use a hosting company myself, but most hosting companies will handle this for you, and from what I have seen, this is often part of the hosting package. It is also possible to do this yourself, but if is a bit difficult. There are services that will allow you to do your own registration for free, but there is no hand holding; you will need to do the research ahead of time to figure out how things work, and how to register the service yourself. It may be better to just allow the hosting company to do it for you.

#13 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi davemo,

It's complicated. I put up a website at a free site which is free as long as you accept ads. For a fee you can have the ads removed. Additionally, if I want my domain name to be the website address, I have to pay the company that hosts the free website an extra fee. Then they will allow me to use my web address the way it should look. Otherwise they use their domain name and tack our name on as an ending. I'll try to show you this:

our domain name is: ourdomainname.com
using the free website, our internet address looks like this: www.freewebsite.com/ourdomainname/index/htm

If I want our name to look like this: www.ourdomainname.com
then I have to pay an extra fee to the free website people who host our website

We pay our registrar to register our name, and then we tell them to direct our address at the freewebsite address, which they do at no extra cost.

If we accept ads on our website, then the only fee we have is paying the registrar to register our domain for us.

Here I have a question:
If the freewebsite hosting company takes over hosting our domain for us, does this means they also become the registrar or do they simply tack on a fee for changing our name to www.ourdomain.com and we keep the same registrar we had?

:thumbsup:
Zllio

#14 davemo

davemo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Ok i have another question then. I want to register a domain with a company they offer to register it for 1 yr for say $10 . I go ahead and register it, in the meantime i create the website and get it hosted by another company this company charges $20 a yr to host it. Will i continue to pay the domain registar company a yearly fee for as long as the website is online? Basically it sounds like the registar thing is an ongoing expense like the hosting am i correct in the assumption?????

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

You purchase the right to use the domain on a yearly basis. You can pay for as many years as you like, but often you have to pay for two years up front. Yes, it is a reoccuring expense. You do not actually purchase the domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users