Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

I had some issues with XP so I erased it from my HDD then installed Windows 7 on my slave drive on its own partition (2). Later on I got my hands on a fresh copy of XP and I wanted to do a fresh install of it since Windows 7 is only temporary. Did the install, made a partition just for XP on my master drive and as I'm installing the updates and as the computer is re-booting over and over again I notice that it's not prompting me to select what OS to boot. So I take a look at my system start up options and notice that my Windows 7 isn't even an option. Here is my boot file, I myself don't feel confident nor experienced enough to mess with these options since it could ultimately render my computer inoperable. I still want to mess with Windows 7 and I feel this is a good experience for me to learn from :thumbsup:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I've been having my own problems with Windows 7 and XP :flowers:, but mine are dissimilar from yours.

The one thing I've learned about Win 7...is that it uses a different boot set of files...than XP.

Also...I have always been taught that later Windows operating systems need to be installed in chronological order, oldest first. That may have contributed to your situation...I don't know what effect attempting to go against this...would do with the Vista boot files (which are used by the Windows 7 beta).

Therefore...Windows 7 will never appear on the boot.ini file, since Vista and Win 7 don't use the boot.ini and other previous versions of Windows boot files. But...if both installs have truly been properly made...the Windows 7 boot option menu should appear onscreen and give you the option of booting into either.

You might take a look at http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1114826.htm

There is also a Windows 7 forum at this website, you might want to post over there and see what those with more experience than I with Win 7 (I cannot get it to install at all properly) will have to say.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 February 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#3 jon0111387

jon0111387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

It's funny you should say that because I was just about to make a topic in the Windows 7 forum then I changed my mind at the last second :trumpet: . Thanks for that link to the tutorial, I'll give it a try when I home tonight :thumbsup: .

Can a moderator please move this to the Windows 7 forum. Thank you :flowers:

EDIT: Forgot to mention while I was messing with the boot options last night I got the boot options screen to come up after the POST, but when I try and boot into W7 I get a error.

Edited by jon0111387, 10 February 2009 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users