Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp normal boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwena

kwena

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Hi, i recently removed avast on my pc using the "msconfig" command after i was unable to uninstall it. After starting in safe mode and removing it and trying to boot normally, i can't open "add new hardware" in control panel. When i open device manager i can't see my devices. my taskbar changed from normal xp task to grey.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flaxtelios

Flaxtelios

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

If your properties work, (the one where you right click directly on the desktop)
Go to the appearance tab and you should be able to change the look back to normal.
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb suggestion :thumbsup:

Edited by Flaxtelios, 10 February 2009 - 02:06 AM.

Hey I'm Kyle, It's an honour to be in your presence.... hey wait that's your line. :o
Sometimes the Hardest thing and the Right thing are the same.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

Try using System Restore, choose a date prior to you attempt to uninstall Avast.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 kwena

kwena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:36 AM

i tried to restore it but it can only restore to one date, and that is the date of the same day i removed avast. The other thing is, when i go to properties by right clicking on the desktop, on the theme tab i only get the classic windows theme. my xp theme is gone. the is no audio mixers, when i go to add hardware it doesn't respond. i can't see my flash after inserting it in the usb port.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

In the Themes section there is a drop down menu if you click on the down arrow to the right of the themes box, does this offer alternatives?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are an driver errors there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 kwena

kwena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

it seems my pc is still in safe mode and i cant boot normally. i tried "msconfig" and start in normal mode but i cant.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

Do you have Norton installed on this computer?

#8 kwena

kwena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

No i don't have Norton, i installed avg free version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users