Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Put HDD from Asus AMD into a Dell Intel computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

My Asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard with Athlon xp cpu recently crashed, died, or shorted out... still working on that...

but I put my hardware into my Dell Dimension 4600. Everything works fine but my question is with the
HDD from my ASUS mobo still has all the asus and nvidia drivers on it. I haven't uninstalled them yet, and
it's working okay except for the fact that I can't get the audio to work.

I need something called the ADI 1980 audio connector, which I believe I found on the Dell website as an optional installation.

I tried installing the chipset drivers for the dimension 4600 and it didn't install correctly.

anyone any insight as to what I need to do?
I just want the audio to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Ive swapped HDs like that before, usually the unused drivers just lay dormant and dont do anything but occasionally they will conflict with the new drivers, I would recomend uninstalling all the old drivers (after all, your not using them anymore no sense wasting HD space) and install the new ones and go from there, see if that fixes your problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

yeah but since when do we listen to microsoft lol. no just kidding, but hes at least partially right-it can cause serious issues. often times not, and if you have it set up as a true slave, in theory you shouldnt, but microsoft being microsoft, its really hit and miss. Ive had one hard drive with XP on it ive switched between 3 different computers (it just wanted reactivated each time) and at another time I tried it and ran into problems. if the only problem your having is your sound then just delete all the old drivers and reinstall the new ones. tell me, is the HD u took from the ASUS set up as the primary hard drive in your dell? if not, then you should reformat it and just wipe it clean resolves any issues and gives you more Hard drive space.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

I'm using the same setup, it's the master drive on the Dimension 4600 as well. I also installed my secondary drive as well. The only problem are the audio drivers.

I tried installing the chipset drivers from the Dell site last night, and after a reboot It said that the installation was not successful, but these chipset drivers are so that
the intel cpu comes up listed in the device manager, for the IDE and something else. I'm going to try uninstalling the nvidia drivers for now.

This is just a temporary solution maybe, until I can find out why my asus board won't but anymore. I'd like to swap it back and forth when I have time to
fool with that again.

(My asus board would not boot, the fans would only spin for a half-second and then stop no matter what I did. Even with just the basics plugged in, mobo, cpu fan and graphic card.)

UPDATE!

I never installed the Dell ADI 1980 drivers last night. I installed the driver that was listed as URGENT and it didnt' take because it was for a card that may have been included on some models.
Sound at last!! I really don't care too much about anything else at this point. I didn't remove all my nvidia drivers (only the audio driver), because if the drivers do not cause a conflict, then why bother?

I want to be able to swap this hard drive back and forth in the future with my asus motherboard so that I can determine why that motherboard is not working.

Edited by heavyjavadrinker, 10 February 2009 - 08:58 AM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

I would remove all the old drivers, because they can be causing a conflict-even if they are not the audio ones, and even if they arnt if you are no longer using them they are at the very least taking up excess hard drive space that they dont need to use. and you cant hurt anything to remove them if your not using them.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users