Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming video very choppy

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Joe4alb

Joe4alb

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hey guys,
You helped me before and I hope you can do it again. My computer seems to be having an issue with streaming video. On either firefox or IE7 any video streamed after a few seconds becomes very choppy and erratic. Even If I close the web browser down and immediately goto the video stream, I have the same issue.

As a side note, if I leave either firefox or IE7 open too long then it uses up all my memory (seen IE7 upto 199k before) very annoying.

I hope you guys can help... here are a few things I know:

Both browsers are up to date
flash video and java are up to date
Spybot and ad-aware scans are clean
All windows updates are completed
cfgmon.exe has been disabled
disk defrag completed
scandisk completed
disk cleanup completed
surface scan completed

running windows XP Home SP3
2.4 ghz Celeron
768 megs ram
28 gig HD w/ 20. 8 gigs free

Please help! Thanks guys and keep up the great work!!!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

is the "streming" video a java app in the browser?

#3 Joe4alb

Joe4alb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

most of the vids are not java related (other java related objects work fine)

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

Is there a particular site it is happening on, such as youtube, or is it all videos?

#5 Joe4alb

Joe4alb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

wow i completely forgot I posted this problem .... sorry guys.. well anyway still the same problem. The choppy video happens on all sites, in IE7/8 or Firefox. any site that streams video is choppy. HOWEVER, if the video is saved on the harddrive and played, then it is perfectly fine. Thanks guys!

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

If that's the case- we can tell you it's something with you and the connection where the streaming video comes from. It seems to me that it's mostly your connection thats getting clogged. Do you share a network with multiple people?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

Posting a link to an example of the problem might be helpful.

#8 Joe4alb

Joe4alb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

Watching any of the previews on netflix, is one good example of it skipping. I don't share the network with anyone. I have also have a desktop with the same specs and it runs perfectly smooth.

2.4ghz Celeron
1.0 gig Ram
Win XP SP3

here is one example... skips like a mofo

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

The Youtube video works fine for me so there's something else going on. Maybe it's your ISP. I think Netflix uses Silverlight as opposed to Flash and folks have been having trouble with it.

#10 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Watching any of the previews on netflix, is one good example of it skipping. I don't share the network with anyone. I have also have a desktop with the same specs and it runs perfectly smooth.

2.4ghz Celeron
1.0 gig Ram
Win XP SP3

here is one example... skips like a mofo

Looks like to me you have some RAM issues. The other set had 768. Besides this, It could be viruses/malware that is slowing down your performance. Does the other desktop work as smoothly as this one? Do you see a noticeable difference?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#11 Joe4alb

Joe4alb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Everything seems to work the same as on my desktop. I did notice that the streaming video seems to be effected most when it is a flash video. I have already updated to the latest version but that didn't help. I have done all the usual virus scans, adware scans, spybot scan etc etc.

Also my laptop use to have 768 I upgraded to 1gig but the problem was there before and after the upgrade.

Edited by Joe4alb, 08 March 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Joe4alb

Joe4alb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

any ideas on this guys. Like I posted earlier flash videos seem to be effected the most. I even reformated my hard drive and started fresh with XP and the damn videos still skip!! they really skip when I move the mouse. HELP!

#13 daydreams

daydreams

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

Having the same problem...Mostly when i watch fearnet.com and some other random sites like Google video. I have java, silverlight and flashplayer up to date. Its still choppy.

#14 daydreams

daydreams

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

Oh yeah i have windows Vista and Norton 360 says no virus

#15 Nafe

Nafe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

(sorry to reply to old thread) I'm having the same problem. Thing is, it's not only on youtube, it's ANY streaming video (other then java). All three networked pc's have the same problem and even my wireless laptop. Every computer we have cannot seem to run a stream. Every time we try to stream a video it freezes up. You can hear the audio but the video freezes up.

any suggestions? :thumbsup: It's getting frustrating.

Edited by Nafe, 07 March 2010 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users