Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help required to Format my C:

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trax1963

Trax1963

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Please could anyone tell me how to:~

1st Format my C: I don't have a formatting disk so if you could tell me how to get that would help a lot Vista 64byte
2nd How to get the BIOS to format my C: as i can't find this... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...fault/blink.gif
Your help will be appreciated Thanks Trax. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...fault/crazy.gif

Edited by Trax1963, 09 February 2009 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Are you trying to install Vista 64 bit? Do you have a installation disk?

The BIOS will not format your C:, but the installation disk will. You will need to go into BIOS to set the first boot device to your CD/DVD drive. If you don't know how to do that, please let us know.

#3 Trax1963

Trax1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:49 AM

Are you trying to install Vista 64 bit? Do you have a installation disk?

The BIOS will not format your C:, but the installation disk will. You will need to go into BIOS to set the first boot device to your CD/DVD drive. If you don't know how to do that, please let us know.

No i do not have an installation disc. How do i get one?

Edited by Trax1963, 10 February 2009 - 03:50 AM.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

You will have to purchase an installation disk:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...erating-Systems
Find one that you like. The OEM version is cheaper, but you can only install it on one machine. I personally don't like Vista (including 64 bit home premium version). In fact, I purchased one desktop computer with Vista Home Premium 64 bit version about a year ago, and had to format the hard drive and installed XP Pro instead due to software incompatibility issues.

Or you can download Windows 7 Beta from the following link (It's a test version, but it is much faster than Vista and it supports most hardware and software supported by Vista):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...a-download.aspx
You will need to use Internet Explorer and the .NET passport. And you will need to act quickly to start the download. It's ending in a few hours. But you will have a couple of days to finish the download once you have started the downloading.

Edited by czhang, 10 February 2009 - 06:45 AM.

#5 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

By the way, if I remember correctly, you will be able to use Windows 7 Beta until August 1, 2009.

#6 Trax1963

Trax1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

By the way, if I remember correctly, you will be able to use Windows 7 Beta until August 1, 2009.

I have a Windows Vista 64 Home Premium disc. Can i format my C: from that? Didn't know you could if you can that is!

It's simple really: I want to format the disk containing windows C: cos i need to get rid of a virus that won't budge and i have tried everything else you name it i've tried it.....

Edited by Trax1963, 10 February 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#7 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

Yes, you should be able to in most cases. You will need to go into BIOS to set the boot sequence to boot first from CD/DVD drive. You should have an option to format the hard drive.

Try that and see what happens. If that doesn't work, the problem is more serious. You will have to post your problem in "Am I Infected..." section to get more help.

Did you have any anti-virus software running before the infection? There are some free anti-virus available, such as AVG:
http://free.avg.com/

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

FWIW - today is the last day to begin a Windows 7 download. And, if you do start it, you've got until Feb 12 to finish it.
Product keys should be available for a while after that.

The beta is set to expire in August - so you'll have to be prepared to format and install another OS at that time.

Edited by usasma, 10 February 2009 - 07:37 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Trax1963

Trax1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Yes, you should be able to in most cases. You will need to go into BIOS to set the boot sequence to boot first from CD/DVD drive. You should have an option to format the hard drive.

Try that and see what happens. If that doesn't work, the problem is more serious. You will have to post your problem in "Am I Infected..." section to get more help.

Did you have any anti-virus software running before the infection? There are some free anti-virus available, such as AVG:
http://free.avg.com/

I've tried
Superantispyware
Malwarebytes
Trojan Remover
Kaspersky
Kaspersky Online Scanner
Norton IS
Norton Online scanner
Trend Micro (PcCillin)
Trend Micro Housecall
Avira AV
Avira Reboot disk
Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool for PC health and safety

None worked....

Check dis' http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/20...rus-worm-2.html

#10 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

What I meant in my previous post is that:
Have you tried to boot first from your CD/DVD with your Vista Home Premium 64 bit disk in it to reinstall the OS?

In the installation process, you should have a choice to format the hard drive. Try to run a reinstallation of Vista and report back here what happens.

Edited by czhang, 10 February 2009 - 07:52 AM.

#11 Trax1963

Trax1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

What I meant in my previous post is that:
Have you tried to boot first from your CD/DVD with your Vista Home Premium 64 bit disk in it to reinstall the OS?

In the installation process, you should have a choice to format the hard drive. Try to run a reinstallation of Vista and report back here what happens.

No there is no option to Format C: on the windows Install disk

I don't fancy Windows 7 as yet.

Edited by Trax1963, 10 February 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#12 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

What options does it give you? If I remember correctly, it will give you at least two choices: one is to repair the original installation, the other is to install again.

Have you partitioned your hard drive into at least two partitions: C: for the OS, and D: for you own data (and perhaps other partitions).

Please provide as much info as possible about your system. Otherwise it is very difficult to help you.

Edited by czhang, 10 February 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#13 Trax1963

Trax1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

What options does it give you? If I remember correctly, it will give you at least two choices: one is to repair the original installation, the other is to install again.

Have you partitioned your hard drive into at least two partitions: C: for the OS, and D: for you own data (and perhaps other partitions).

Please provide as much info as possible about your system. Otherwise it is very difficult to help you.

czhang
Thankyou for your co-operation in this matter. Iam not very articulate when it comes to the written word. I was able to format my C: as you said. On the Vista installation disk there is an option to Format the disk but it was not obvious to me as it was written to small for me to see straight away, and it was in (options) just before you intiate windows. Probably just me being dull...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users