Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the difference between a mac and a windows PC?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:38 AM

wasn't sure where to post this topic but i wanted to know the difference between a mac and windows PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

well to beggin with one is made by Apple (Mac and the other is made by windows (windows, 98, ME, 2000, XP, etc.). They also have there own programs for example windows has word, powerpoint, Excell and Mac dosn't.

Edited by frankie12, 31 May 2005 - 09:46 PM.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:22 AM

What is the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac then? it has word, excel, powerpoint, access atc.

If it previously didn't have the office stuff, what the use. So well sort a like windows but operates a different way then.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:09 AM

but operates a different way

I think you nailed it in one.

The primary difference is the operating system - Apple's run on MacOS, PC's run on MS Windows (well most of them do). Secondary differences are the hardware and the applications - PC's usually have Intel or AMD processors, Apples have a different manufacturer's processor. PC's run Microsoft *anything* and also a growing number of apps transplanted from the open-source Unix world like 'Open-Office' and 'The GIMP' while Apples well, these days I've no idea what they run.
The differences are not so hard and fast as they used to be and a fair amount of cross-pollination is going on producing things like the MS Office for Mac that you mentioned.

Oh, also Apple don't have a plan for world domination, so far as I know. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 June 2005 - 08:29 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

Yes a Mac has a different O/S and opperates a different way.

The biggest difference that Windows Users will miss when using a mac is the "no right click," on the Mac. :thumbsup:

However, Mac do have there good points... (crickects in the distance)

Personally I've never really liked them, and I would avoid them, cause Macs don't really have more of an advantage than computers. Except that there latest OS (on the mac) is a little more stable that Windows XP.

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

macs are much, much better computers for audio, video and graphic editing/design. Photoshop was originally made for the mac, and pro tools (probably won't know it unless you have a mac) is the top audio editing software available. Macs are much less vulnerable to viruses, mainly because they don't run the same file types as windows (such as .exe .dll .zip etc.). The only virsues made for macs have to be made by mac users, and there aren't many hackers running macs.

Posted Image

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

Interesting, I wonder why hackers make virus for any how, because they have a pc just like we do and they wreck it for everyone. Where if we get one we may have to replace or repair plus we spend $$$ on programs to help minimize which i think the companies make viruses as well to make us spend more.

#8 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

(crickects in the distance)
Personally I've never really liked them, and I would avoid them, cause Macs don't really have more of an advantage than computers. Except that there latest OS (on the mac) is a little more stable that Windows XP.

Presonally I think you know nothing about Mac.. Crickects in the distance?? :thumbsup:
And.. ANY Mac OS is (much) better and more stable than Windows.. :flowers:

The facts..

Entire systems architectures, from CPU type to operating system file management.
Macintosh is extremely stable that keeps the total cost of ownership low.
Mac's last longer. Most Mac's are in service running the latest software for up to 10 years.
The average Windows PC canít run the latest software after being in service only 4 years.

Anyhow, greatest difference is ease of logic and mainteinance..

1) Adding and removing applications

When Windows applications are installed, they make
changes to one or more of the system files. That means that
system files almost always contain changes which were made by different
applications. When problems arise, this means that the relevant system file
must often be diagnosed on a line by line basis.
And be honest.. How many Windows users are comfortale dealing with
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_DYN_DATA etc...
In Macintosh we have Extension Manager to manage our extensions.
Here we can pinpoint and elimnate the problem.

2) Hard disk space management

In Windows it's much harder to identifying unnecessary files because
Windows applications use much more files than Macintosh applications, with
most having abracadabra file names and many which get placed into the Windows
folder with hundreds of other files where only creator knows their true names.

3) Backing up files

With Windows there is much more reason to back up system and application files as well.
With Macintosh, the user can almost always reinstall the system or any given
application without having to change anything else.

4) Troubleshooting system conflicts and other problems

While we can solve Macintosh problem in minutes or hours,Windows problems can take days.
On the Macintosh, almost all problems can be diagnosed and fixed by resolving init conflicts,
throwing out or replacing Preferences files, reinstalling individual applications or
reinstalling the system files.
Reinstalling one item seldom causes the failure of any other part of the system.
Throwing out Preferences files does not cause failure because applications will replace them with
default Preferences.
We all know what's like to identify and fix specific problems in Windows.
Attempts to fix specific problems can make things only worse until we're forced to either do a complete
restore or a complete reinstall.

5) Recovery from system failures

There are two reasons why Mac is easier to maintain than Windows machine.

1) Mac have much better architecture and less complexity with which the user must deal.

2) Windows has many more interdependencies than Macintosh does.

Macintosh is significantly easier to maintain than a Windows system in all of these areas.
This is not only an issue of less frustration and requiring less knowledge to maintain the system,
but is also a matter of time saved.
When a software problem causes a Macintosh HD to become unbootable,
reinstalling the system will fix the problem.
With a Windows, we'll have to reinstall all applications after reinstalling the system...

Now, I haven't say a word about malware and money saved on buying all sort of virus, trojan, worm scanners and
all other applications to keep Windows in reasonable shape.

And, quoting mr. Bob Shier columnist of AnchorDesk,

"For simple elegance of design, ease of use, and economy of operation, there's simply no comparison between the two platforms.
If you want to work for the machine, go with Windows. If you want the machine to work for you, go with the Mac."

As Prodigy already said, Mac's are much better for audio, video and graphics..
No wonder that all TV and film studios, recording studios and graphic professionals all over the world are using Mac's.. :trumpet:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

Yes, i never had a mac or used one that is why i asked about the difference between them.

I know now that it is more stable than windows, and its better for audio etc. I wonder why you never see a mac at stores, it's only windows.

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

I wonder why you never see a mac at stores, it's only windows.

Because the big stores are under contract and Microsofts "world domination" clause will
cause them to lose MS support.
On your next store outing for fun tell the sales person you want to
know more about this "Linux" you've been hearing about.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

(crickects in the distance)

Presonally I think you know nothing about Mac.. Crickects in the distance?? :thumbsup:
And.. ANY Mac OS is (much) better and more stable than Windows.. :flowers:

The facts..

Entire systems architectures, from CPU type to operating system file management.
Macintosh is extremely stable that keeps the total cost of ownership low.
Mac's last longer. Most Mac's are in service running the latest software for up to 10 years.
The average Windows PC canít run the latest software after being in service only 4 years.

Anyhow, greatest difference is ease of logic and mainteinance..

1) Adding and removing applications

When Windows applications are installed, they make
changes to one or more of the system files. That means that
system files almost always contain changes which were made by different
applications. When problems arise, this means that the relevant system file
must often be diagnosed on a line by line basis.
And be honest.. How many Windows users are comfortale dealing with
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_DYN_DATA etc...
In Macintosh we have Extension Manager to manage our extensions.
Here we can pinpoint and elimnate the problem.

2) Hard disk space management

In Windows it's much harder to identifying unnecessary files because
Windows applications use much more files than Macintosh applications, with
most having abracadabra file names and many which get placed into the Windows
folder with hundreds of other files where only creator knows their true names.

3) Backing up files

With Windows there is much more reason to back up system and application files as well.
With Macintosh, the user can almost always reinstall the system or any given
application without having to change anything else.

4) Troubleshooting system conflicts and other problems

While we can solve Macintosh problem in minutes or hours,Windows problems can take days.
On the Macintosh, almost all problems can be diagnosed and fixed by resolving init conflicts,
throwing out or replacing Preferences files, reinstalling individual applications or
reinstalling the system files.
Reinstalling one item seldom causes the failure of any other part of the system.
Throwing out Preferences files does not cause failure because applications will replace them with
default Preferences.
We all know what's like to identify and fix specific problems in Windows.
Attempts to fix specific problems can make things only worse until we're forced to either do a complete
restore or a complete reinstall.

5) Recovery from system failures

There are two reasons why Mac is easier to maintain than Windows machine.

1) Mac have much better architecture and less complexity with which the user must deal.

2) Windows has many more interdependencies than Macintosh does.

Macintosh is significantly easier to maintain than a Windows system in all of these areas.
This is not only an issue of less frustration and requiring less knowledge to maintain the system,
but is also a matter of time saved.
When a software problem causes a Macintosh HD to become unbootable,
reinstalling the system will fix the problem.
With a Windows, we'll have to reinstall all applications after reinstalling the system...

Now, I haven't say a word about malware and money saved on buying all sort of virus, trojan, worm scanners and
all other applications to keep Windows in reasonable shape.

And, quoting mr. Bob Shier columnist of AnchorDesk,

"For simple elegance of design, ease of use, and economy of operation, there's simply no comparison between the two platforms.
If you want to work for the machine, go with Windows. If you want the machine to work for you, go with the Mac."

As Prodigy already said, Mac's are much better for audio, video and graphics..
No wonder that all TV and film studios, recording studios and graphic professionals all over the world are using Mac's.. :trumpet:

I think this sums it up very well.

However you got to remember 90% of the software is designed for 90% of the computers which run 90% Windows 90% of the time. :inlove:

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 June 2005 - 12:33 PM.

#12 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

I wonder why you never see a mac at stores, it's only windows.

Well It's what Raw said, and all sort of applications you have for Windows (started with gaming.. :thumbsup: )
On the other hand... How many Ferrari Masseratti or other high class showrooms you see compared to Volkswagen or Toyota.. And who sales more?? :flowers:
It's not always that something having biger selling figures is necessarly a better product..

However you got to remember 90% of the software is designed for 90% of the computers which run 90% Windows 90% of the time. :trumpet:

Sure.. But Windows users (I have both of them.. :inlove: ) are interested in completley different sort of computing.. Games, music etc. Mac users are professionals focused on doing their jobs..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

Yes Notorious people who usually use Macs are users who are professionals that are focused on doing their jobs, so is this why most Graphic Art creators (and such) use macs?

I take it you haven't seen this video: http://matg.home.comcast.net/mac.swf

#14 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:02 AM

Yes Notorious I take it you haven't seen this video: http://matg.home.comcast.net/mac.swf

LOL.. Microsoft propaganda trailer.. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:53 AM

i went to a big computer store today and ask about a linux / mac and no one that worked at the store knows anything about them. Except one fellar who used to have a mac 9 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users