Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore disabled, antivirus updates blocked

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 prb_nearnorth

prb_nearnorth

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Hello: It looks like I must be infected with some virus/malware because of the following issues:

- Google search results sometimes take me to advertising sites not the site I want to go to.
- AVG antivirus update manager the connection failed (unable to download latest definitions)
- I downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy error message during installation the server name or address could not be resolved (unable to install the program)
- System restore won't work -- I get the calendar of restore points, and can select a particular point, but when I press NEXT, nothing happens.

I am running Windows XP home. My computer seems to run reasonably well, except for the issues above. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware found 5 objects which I eliminated but no change in performance. SuperAntiSpyware found 12 adware items which I eliminated -- no changes in performance noted. I am an intermediate user, at best, so please bear with me. I would appreciate any help you could give me. I will wait for your instructions before I run HiJackThis, etc.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Try this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users