Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get computer to boot from dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi all, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I want to do a clean Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit install. I currently have Windows XP 32 bit. I have read that I must boot from the dvd drive in order to do a clean install. However, when I go to my BIOS and set the dvd drive as the first boot option, all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. Does anyone know what I can do to get my computer to boot properly from the dvd drive in order to do a clean install of Vista? Should I perhaps reformat my hard drive and then try to boot from the dvd drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cybermel

Cybermel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

When you boot up your computer does it say "boot menu" at any time? Dpending on the manufacturer it could be F2, F10, F12 or the delete key. Not the F8 to go to safe mode, but another option that should be on the BIOS splash screen. Look for this, and be quick about hitting whichever button it says. Hope that helps. This sounds like an obvous question, but I have to ask - did you save your changes to the boot sequence in the BIOS before you exited? And you are sure that there are no problems with the DVD drive? Just eliminating possibilities.

#3 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

When you boot up your computer does it say "boot menu" at any time? Dpending on the manufacturer it could be F2, F10, F12 or the delete key. Not the F8 to go to safe mode, but another option that should be on the BIOS splash screen. Look for this, and be quick about hitting whichever button it says. Hope that helps. This sounds like an obvous question, but I have to ask - did you save your changes to the boot sequence in the BIOS before you exited? And you are sure that there are no problems with the DVD drive? Just eliminating possibilities.

Yes, it is the Delete key that takes me to the boot menu. And I changed my DVD drive so that it was first to boot but I still get the blinking cursor upon restart. Yes, I saved my changes as well. I discovered a problem with the DVD drive earlier today. It wasn't showing up in My Computer and it showed an error when I went to the system properties>hardware page. I did a google search and the fix involved deleting two entries from my registry: it was something called "Upper Filters" and "Lower Filters." Could my deleting these two entries be the cause of the disc not booting properly? After deleting the two entries, my dvd drive showed up in My Computer as normal but when I do the steps I mention above, all I get is the blinking cursor. My DVD drive is Plextor PX-716SA. I can take pictures or a video of the startup process and post if that would be helpful. Thank you!

#4 Cybermel

Cybermel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Try updating the driver for your DVD player and try again. If that doesn't work then let's hope some other kind hearted geek will read this and know the answer. If I think of anything else I will post again. Good luck!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

That black screen with the blinking cursor in the upper left corner...usually indicates an MBR or boot option problem.

Are you sure that you are using a bootable DVD?

Louis

#6 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Try updating the driver for your DVD player and try again. If that doesn't work then let's hope some other kind hearted geek will read this and know the answer. If I think of anything else I will post again. Good luck!

According to Plextor's website, there aren't any drivers to download and that there are no additional drivers necessary for Windows XP: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/drivers/drivers.html There was a firmware update that I downloaded and installed, but this hasn't helped the situation.

That black screen with the blinking cursor in the upper left corner...usually indicates an MBR or boot option problem.

Are you sure that you are using a bootable DVD?

Louis

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, that is the DVD I am using. Can you elaborate on the MBR or boot option problem? Coincidentally, when I boot up my computer and press F8 to go to the advanced boot options, instead of getting a screen asking me for safe mode, etc., I get a screen asking me which device I want to boot from.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Maybe you didn't understand the question...where did this DVD for Vista come from?

Is it a valid Microsoft CD acquired by purchase, complete with valid license/key? That would definitely be a bootable DVD.

Or is it a DVD burned from some other source or by someone?

When some users attempt to create bootable CDs or DVDs...they fail and don't find out until later.

I cannot see your system and I really have no idea of what system you might have...the BIOS screens and keys that you describe are totally unfamiliar to me. I don't have any keys that I press to access my BIOS, other than the Delete key.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#8 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

Maybe you didn't understand the question...where did this DVD for Vista come from?

Is it a valid Microsoft CD acquired by purchase, complete with valid license/key? That would definitely be a bootable DVD.

Or is it a DVD burned from some other source or by someone?

When some users attempt to create bootable CDs or DVDs...they fail and don't find out until later.

I cannot see your system and I really have no idea of what system you might have...the BIOS screens and keys that you describe are totally unfamiliar to me. I don't have any keys that I press to access my BIOS, other than the Delete key.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

I bought Vista directly from Microsoft and received it today. I can try and take some pictures of my BIOS screens so that you can better understand the situation. My computer was built by a friend and I will try to post some specs on it. I am taking this information directly from the program CPU-Z:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-SLI-SE Deluxe
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 0901 Date 12/19/2007
RAM: 8GB in four 2GB sticks supplied by Crucial Technology (I just purchased the RAM and is one of the main reasons I want to go 64 bit Vista, so that it will be recognized)
Currently using Windows XP Professional 32 bit

I will take some pics with my camera and upload them for better clarification. Thank you all for the help!

#9 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

Okay, here are some screens which I hope will better explain the situation. Please forgive the poor quality as well as the small size, I took some screenshots from a video that I took with my camera using movie maker. I will try to describe them as needed:

Here is the normal screen when booting up:
Posted Image

Here is the next screen in the normal booting process:
Posted Image

When I press DEL and go to the Bios screen, this is what it looks like:
Posted Image

Using the arrow keys I go over to the boot section:
Posted Image

I select Boot Device Priority and get this (this is the normal startup list):
Posted Image

I change the order to put my Plextor DVD drive in the 1st slot:
Posted Image

And after saving my changes and rebooting, I get the black screen with the blinking cursor:
Posted Image

I tried another option, disabling everything else but the "ATAPI CD-ROM":
Posted Image

And upon reboot, I have another dialog:
Posted Image
It's a little hard to read, but it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

All of the above occurs with the Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate in my dvd drive. I hope this was helpful.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

I have an AMI BIOS on this system, similar to yours.

From what I see...your problem seems to be that this Plextor drive is not detected on the main BIOS screen. That screen doesn't detect any drives at all, other than a Seagate hard drive...in reality, it should reflect every drive which is properly attached to the motherboard. External drives, of course, would not be reflected.

The fact that your other drives show up as boot devices...conflicts with the fact that they don't show up on the main screen.

Which might indicate that you have them set up in RAID mode...on the RAID portion of your BIOS. The Silicon Image screen (2d one) indicates that you have a RAID controller on this motherboard.

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me for what I see on your BIOS screens.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...2=11&l3=227

Disable the RAID controller or take the system out of RAID mode...according to your motherboard manual or Asus website, and all drives ought to be reflected as they should...in a non-RAID mode and reflected correctly on the main BIOS screen.

That's my best guess :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

I have an AMI BIOS on this system, similar to yours.

From what I see...your problem seems to be that this Plextor drive is not detected on the main BIOS screen. That screen doesn't detect any drives at all, other than a Seagate hard drive...in reality, it should reflect every drive which is properly attached to the motherboard. External drives, of course, would not be reflected.

The fact that your other drives show up as boot devices...conflicts with the fact that they don't show up on the main screen.

Which might indicate that you have them set up in RAID mode...on the RAID portion of your BIOS. The Silicon Image screen (2d one) indicates that you have a RAID controller on this motherboard.

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me for what I see on your BIOS screens.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...2=11&l3=227

Disable the RAID controller or take the system out of RAID mode...according to your motherboard manual or Asus website, and all drives ought to be reflected as they should...in a non-RAID mode and reflected correctly on the main BIOS screen.

That's my best guess :thumbsup:.

Louis

Okay, I've tried this solution but it seems that it's already out of RAID mode. I went to my BIOS and then to IDE Configuration and then there was a line that said

nVidia RAID Function [Disabled]

I tried enabling it but no luck by doing that either.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Well...I don't know what to tell you, other than I don't think your BIOS is acting properly.

If a drive is connected to the motherboard, it needs to appear on one of the two BIOS screens (main and RAID) or something is wrong with the drive, the connection, or the motherboard's capabilities for perceiving such.

You may want to check the Asustek forums for possible help, if your owner's manual doesn't cover BIOS settings.

Have you tried resetting your BIOS to default settings (following the guidance for doing so in the BIOS itself)?

Louis

#13 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Well...I don't know what to tell you, other than I don't think your BIOS is acting properly.

If a drive is connected to the motherboard, it needs to appear on one of the two BIOS screens (main and RAID) or something is wrong with the drive, the connection, or the motherboard's capabilities for perceiving such.

You may want to check the Asustek forums for possible help, if your owner's manual doesn't cover BIOS settings.

Have you tried resetting your BIOS to default settings (following the guidance for doing so in the BIOS itself)?

Louis

I don't know if this is important or not, but you said the 2nd screen that I posted referred to a RAID setup. After a few seconds, that screen changes and then lists my Plextor DVD drive. In my Control Panel, there is an option for Silicon Image ATA Controllers, and here is what is displayed:

Posted Image

Again, I don't know if it's helpful or not but I thought I'd try. :thumbsup:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

Control Panel is not the problem...it's the BIOS which is supposed to reflect that information.

The only thing I haven't suggested which makes some sort of sense...you might want to replace your CMOS battery.

FWIW: The info you posted re the controller...is supposed to appear in Device Manager. With the possible exception of printers...that is where controllers and all devices attached to the motherboard...should appear.

Louis

#15 ecfchamps2002

ecfchamps2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Control Panel is not the problem...it's the BIOS which is supposed to reflect that information.

The only thing I haven't suggested which makes some sort of sense...you might want to replace your CMOS battery.

FWIW: The info you posted re the controller...is supposed to appear in Device Manager. With the possible exception of printers...that is where controllers and all devices attached to the motherboard...should appear.

Louis

Okay, can you tell me more about replacing the CMOS battery and what it does? I'm really not that knowledgeable in this area. Also, how much do they cost and where can I buy them? Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users