Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Vundo - Used Malwarebytes but not all infected files in quarantine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 strawberyflds

strawberyflds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I received two warnings notifying me that I had infected files on my computer and would need to download either AntiVirus360 or SystemGuard2009. I did not follow through with either of them. Then I got huge pop-ups on every website I went to, all to purchase different malware and virus removal softwares.

I just ran the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan (found under "How to remove Antivirus 360"). It found 39 infected files. The vendors were all either "Trojan.Vundo" or "Trojan.Vundo.H" and there was one "Malware.Trace". Upon removing the files, the Notepad window popped up, and I was instructed that the computer would need to reboot in order to remove some of the files. After clicking continue, a window popped up called "RUNDLL" and said there was an error loading something (one of the Windows32 files) because the file was not valid. It did one of the end programs/program not responding things. Then the computer continued to reboot. After rebooting, the scan did not come up again on its own, so I re-opened the Malwarebytes' program. There are now 31 items in my quarantine. However, the first scan showed 39 infected files. I ran another scan and it did not find any infected files.

Is there a way to know if the other 8 infected files are still on my computer? I am no longer getting the large pop-up ads when I visit websites, but I'm worried that I may still have a virus because not all of the files were quarantined. Also, does being in quarantine mean that the files are no longer harmful to my computer, or do I need to do something further with them?

I would really appreciate any help that can be offered. Thank you so much!

-Sara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

If the files are in quarantine they can no longer harm the computer.

Malwarebytes will not quarantine every bad file it finds, sometimes it just deletes it. You can check in the log for what action was taken (click on the Logs tab).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users