Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista blocking Firefox, AVG and others

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WillyZ

WillyZ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Something is blocking access to download sites and internet access. I have Vista Home 32 bit on a HP Laptop. IE7 works fine, Outlook can receive emails and such.

AVG cannot update saying that it cannot connect to the internet. I can gt to the update site through IE but cannot download the update adn get a connection timeout.
Firefox cannot connect at all to the internet. I was able to download and install but not connect.
Adobe Flash will not download saying there is a timeout in the connection.

I'm thinking this is all due to the same problem. I have disabled the firewall as well as checked that all these are on the approved list.

Neither of these software's support sites have been of any help, including Microsoft. They all just point me to setting up a network connection.

Please help. I am at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WillyZ

WillyZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Found my problem. When I purchased the pc there was a trial of Norton on there. Once the trial expired, I removed Norton and installed AVG. Little did I know that a Norton firewall was still hanging around causing connection issues. I used

http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.exe

to discover that it was running. Then I used

http://service1.symantec.co m/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

to remove it.

Problem solved. Hopefully this will help others as well.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Just to add to this, yesterday I caught Webroot SpySweeper and AVG in a conspiracy to stop a customer's email access.
The only symptoms were system slowness, and increased IO Reads for SpySweeper.
Uninstalled it, only to find the same issue with AVG.
Uninstalled it and all was well! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users