Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very strange problems with video.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sean567012

sean567012

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

My problem begins when I went to replace the ram on my girlfriends computer (256 with a 512 chip), this same ram has been placed in it before with no problems. However, after trying to start the computer it would only make a clicking noise and wouldn't turn on. I checked and made sure all the wires were hooked up correctly and tried starting it up again, it turned on, but the monitor wouldn't receive any data, like it wasn't hooked up to the pc. (The video card for the computer is built into its motherboard.) I've tried different monitors, different ram, and made sure all the wiring is hooked up, but still nothing.

The next thing I tried was placing two 1gig ram chips along with my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 video card in her computer. After that it booted up completely normal, you saw the BIOS, Windows Start screen, ect., until right before the login screen and then it just went black. So I removed the videocard and ram I had installed from my pc and put back the original ram and went back to using her built-in videocard. However, when I tried to boot up her computer the fan comes on and everything else but I got this around 3 second long beep over and over and nothing happens.

So then I installed a different new videocard, unhooked the Floppy drive and Cd-Rom drive from the motherboard. It now booted up all the way to the windows loading screen, but as soon as that screen finishes loading everything on the monitor goes black like the monitor is entering sleep mode. Weird, but since the monitor work all the way until that point I assumed it was working, at least to a degree, so I reconnected the ribbon cables, booted it up, and again got that same blank screen with the long beep. Then after again unhooking the same wires that made it work in the first place, the beep still continues and I can no longer get ANY images on the monitor again.

So I completely dissembled the entire computer, checked all the components, opened up and dusted out the power supply, all fans, ect, then reassembled it (except for the floppy and 2 cd rom drives) making sure everything was in perfect working order. I booted it up which it did just fine, no noises or beeps or anything, but still no video coming from the new videocard or the video output on the motherboard. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

The beep code...should be looked up...at the website of the system manufacturer, according to the model of the system.

That's the first obstacle to be investigated/overcome, IMO.

An explanation of beep codes for the system may be contained in the owner's manual.

Louis

#3 sean567012

sean567012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

I had read about the beep code and it said that there was either a problem with the ram (which works fine) or the ram slot. The beeping has been fixed, I just don't recieve any picture. I would think the problem was with the motherboard, but there were the few times when I did get brief visuals (the BIOS and Win screen i mentioned), so I'm just not sure.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Problem is...any number of individual components can result in your situation.

The fact that the system worked before you changed it...points at something that should be reversible, making the assumption that you did not short anything.

I would start with the power supply and memory and try to eliminate suspects. It may be the motherboard, but that's just too general a guess at this point, IMO.

I would check the RAM, the PSU, the hard drive...before I went to the motherboard, as a suspect.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users