Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP logging me on to "temp" profile - can I change?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cybermel

Cybermel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I just did a reinstall on a Dell Dimension 3000, and now when I click on my user name I get logged onto the "temp" profile instead of either my previous (before I reinstalled) profile, or the new one that seems to have been created since reinstalling, but is not visible from the User Accounts in the control panel. The User Accounts shows my account, my kid's account, and a guest account. When I look at the "All Users" file in explorer it shows many more accounts. How can I point a logon at a specific profile? I am not on a network or domain controller. This is a stand-alone home PC. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

I believe that the proper place from which to adjust profiles...would be User Accounts in Control Panel.

If a new, temporary profile was created by XP...you were probably advised to create a new permanent one and transfer the settings to same. Did you do that?

How To Copy Data To New User Profile, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#3 battlespyware

battlespyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

cybermel,

I agree with hamluis you should look to create a new account.

Once you are in the new account you can transfer the important data from c:\documents and settings\"OLD ACCOUNT"\ (i.e. documents, favorites, desktop, etc.)

I would also be concerned about the integrity of the hard drive if you just reformatted this computer. XP creates a temp account because it cannot load the original one. The reason it cannot load the original profile can vary however, a bad hard drive could cause this.

Did you do anything on this computer since you reinstalled the OS like install applications or a new antivirus, etc?

chaz.
battle spyware
----------------------------------
IT professional from S FL.
Blogger on how to remove spyware

#4 Cybermel

Cybermel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for your replies. No I haven't done anything to the PC since reinstalling. It sounds like before I waste any more time on this I should run a chkdsk? The User Account in the control panel doesn't have any controls for which profile it is using. Thank you for the link to the microsoft info - their website can sometimes be too much info to sort thorugh. I am going to run a chkdsk, create a new account, migrate the data and delete old accounts. When I delete the old account will that automatically erase the corresponding files on the hard drive? Or should I just leave that alone? I will post again with results.

Edited by Cybermel, 09 February 2009 - 06:20 PM.

#5 battlespyware

battlespyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

You probably found this out already but when you delete an account it will ask if you want to keep or delete the user files. If you have data there I would keep them for a short while just to make sure you aren't missing anything.

chkdsk is good. You 600M should also have some diagnostic software you can boot into. Try F12 @ the dell logo when turning on the computer. Then navigate to the hard drive diagnostics.

I may not be there. I believe you can erase that partition if you are not careful when reinstalling windows.

Good luck.

Chaz.
battle spyware
----------------------------------
IT professional from S FL.
Blogger on how to remove spyware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users