Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help - BSOD's everyday

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brentthing

brentthing

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

Im going to start off by saying that i might have this in the wrong section because these BSOD's have been going on since i had XP, but i figured since i am running Windows 7 as my main operating system that this thread would likely be moved here anyway. But if this is in the wrong section please tell me and it will be moved.

First off here are the specs for this PC
Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHZ
1.00 GB ram
Windows 7
Formally Asus ATI a9600se, Was removed as an attempt to stop the BSOD's, which worked for a couple days
(just ask for more specs if necesary)

This computer used to be the family computer with me my dad and my brother, for a couple years it seemed to work perfectly, a couple years later it seemed to just shut down, (no BSOD's) and restart, so i checked the cpu temperature and found it to be 70 degrees celcius, seeing as this was obviously to high i went out and bought a third party Zalman CPU fan, installed it, checked the temperatures and saw that it was 50, i thought it was reasonable so we continued to to use the computer.
A month later we got the first BSOD. Coincidently my dad was given 2 512mb sticks of ram. So i figured i would swap out the old one stick of 512 and install the name ram,
One in Channel 1 Connector 0
And the Other in Channel 2 Connector 0
And it was fine again for a year, then after my dad passed away, i was given this computer, to which i formatted and installed Windows XP Home, for a couple months it was fine, until i got a virus from bittorrenting, i figured instead of spending hours finding the problem and getting rid of it, that i would just format and install Win Xp Pro, which i wanted to in the first place. and again worked for a bit then i started to get a BSOD everyday. I googled all i could to try and find a reason, (using the error and driver in each search) and just got a bunch of random problems that had nothing to do with what i was looking for.
After one google search i forgot the error and the name of the rootkit, but everything seemed to match the problems that i have been having (by this point whenever i logged in it would Blue Screen right away) . It said that some rootkit that can hide itself and can only be deleted in recovery mode. I pretty much just said f*** it, and i formatted and installed Windows 7.

The First Bluescreen in windows 7 (after about 3 days of using it) is when i went into the taskbar properties and tryed to change the power icon to restart instead of shutdown. and the location of the taskbar to the top. It Bluescreened and Restarted. then when every i would log in it would bluescreen, with the mention of adf.sys in the error. I fixed this accidentally by going into safe mode, accidentally shutting down the computer and from that point till a day later it worked fine. Then i installed ATI Catalyst and installed my Graphics Card. It looked and worked amazing until about 3 hours later when i tryed to play a video and it blue screened. And again whenever i would log in it would bluescreen. In furoury i tooked the graphics card out and used the built in VGA port. Then did a system restore to before i installed catalyst. and again the PC worked (but didnt look) great for about 2 days. and That leaves me off with the day im writing this novel, which im currently doing in safe mode.

If anyone knows anyway to stop this Thanks in advance.

I was sure of what technical errors to write down so just tell me what you need to know and i will provide that information.

p.s. Today when i tryed to change the paging file it BSOD'ed as soon as i hit set.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Are you sure that you have all of your drivers installed? Check Device Manager to see if there's any red x's or yellow !'s.
After that, then try the advice in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

it sounds to me that windows 7 is eating all of your ram and then some, try telling what the blue screen says

Edited by tylerisdabest, 10 February 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Quote:

Description: afd.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 138496 bytes (90% of all occurrence), 131968 bytes, 130688 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. afd.sys is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. File afd.sys is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. afd.sys seems to be a compressed file.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Mappum

Mappum

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

I had the SAME EXACT problem (BSOD form afd.sys) after resinstalling windows. I eventually got more RAM and it solved it, but I am not sure if this will work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users