Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd-rw tray won't open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

I got a cd-rw in with a pile of used cd-roms given to me by a co-worker. Anyway, I decided to put the Cyberdrive in one of my towers that only had a cd-rom. I first slaved it in and then i tried putting it in as the master.

Either way I do it the cd-rw tray will not open, it looks like it's going to, but then doesn't. I can open it with a paper clip and insert disks that way. And once I have a disk in the drive it will open and close just fine.

The drive works fine otherwise, too, it reads and burns disks with no problem.

I have decided just to use the drive anyway, but am curious if the problem can be easily fixed or not.

Thanks to anyone with some insight on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Considering what a CD burner costs nowadays, it is hard to justify any kind of repair. :flowers: If it is under warranty, then I would explore it.

Try and upgrade to a DVD DualLayer burner. :thumbsup: I have seen them at New Egg for about $25-30.

Now, if you are tinkerer, then maybe you could get involved but for most people, it is a throwaway.

Good luck.

DR :trumpet:

#3 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

I have decided to just use the drive as is for now, will probably upgrade later to a dvd-rw.

I do like to tinker and I have opened up cd-roms before, but I actually couldn't get this drive open. And it really ain't worth the time.

Thanks for the post.

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Just curious.

Might try..

1) Start
2) My Computer
3) Right click on the drive for your CD burner - (CDRW Drive)
4) Eject

Any luck?
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#5 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

I did try that but it did not work.

I've heard of people downloading a program that locks your cd drive so kids can't open it, but I thought once you remove the drive and put it into another computer that it wouldn't affect the drive any longer. I don't know much about those types of programs.

Oh well, at least the thing works. I just keep a paper clip handy.

#6 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

There is a eject reset hole in the front of dvd rom. Stick a paperclip into the hole to eject the tray. If this doesn’t reset the drive then there is problem something sticky inside the drive. Like coke or a Popsicle.
good luck
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#7 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

I have the same problem with a few other CD-ROM drives around the house, namely two. Both of them are faster that 48X...I don't know if that's a clue, but its possible that the motor's seized up inside and may need lubrication or something. Like it was said earlier, if it was under warranty replace it. It takes some brains, time, and patience to perform such operations... D:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users