Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: Drive not formatted , format it now(y/n)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anirban

anirban

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hi

My computer has really gone slow and I cannot access my C: drive(My Hard disk has two logical partitions,C and D)
The icon shows when I click on My Computer but when I click on C:drive the computer hangs for 10 mins or so and then it says C: drive is not formatted ,format it now.When I try to scandisk from cmd window D drive is scanned but I cannot scan C: drive,The scandisk program ends saying an error has occured.

Also When I run antivirus software(Avast Free) It says C: drive is not accessible.
I used a program Test-disk 6.10 ,it does show me the files present in C: drive.
I think I installed XP on D: drive(I am not sure) but Test-disk says that C: is the primary bootable drive.
It also seems to have system files.Though I am in a position to lose data on C: drive(as a last resort),I fear whether formatting C: would stop Xp from booting altogether,and I lose the data on D: drive as well(which is imp to me).
I also donot have another harddisk available.
Is there a way out without having to format.
ANIRBAN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

Can you open it in Explore?

Right click on Start, click on Explore, when the page opens scroll down to the hdd and click on it and its contents should show in the right side pane.

The beauty of having two partitions is that you can reformat one without effecting the others data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

First of all sorry for the delayed reply.The computer has gone so slow that even swithing it on has become a pain.
No , the contents of C: drive is not shown by Explore. Only the icon of C: drive shows and when I click on it the computer hangs for some time and then again shows the message "C: drive not formatted,Format (Y/n)?

I saw in device master from My Computers-> Manage this is what it shows:-
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Volume Layout Type File System Status Capacity Free Space % Free Fault Tolerance Overhead
(C:) Partition Basic Healthy(System) 17.73GB 17.73GB 100% No 0%
(D:) Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy(Boot) 19.52GB 10.51GB 53% No 0%
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

one it says C: drive is healthy,??????? Second it says that C: drive is empty though using Test Disk(I mentioned in my last post ) I can see the contents of C: and have also copied a few files from C: drive to D:!!!
Third it says C: drive is the system disk so ,does formatting C: drive(which would be my last resort) stop XP from
running/booting. One of the reasons I am a little apprehensive about formatting is that my hard disk is already 6 yrs old and reinstalling Xp is very slow and often stops in between. Also is the excruciating slow pace of my computer due to this problem or do you think they are different problems???????
What is the best step that I can take now( replacing the Hrddisk is not an option at this moment for me though).
ANIRBAN

#4 cantremember

cantremember

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Sounds like your drive is about to die. First thing to do is to test the drive by downloading the manufacturers hard drive test/health tools. Run them on the drive and make sure it is healthy - but don't hold your breath.

#5 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

yes I will see if that can be done.Could u name any such tool.Moreover as I said I have tested it with Test -Disk which I think is somewhat similar.What else can I do??Would formatting C drive solve the problem.
ANIRBAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users