Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally deleted parts of my OS and now cant directly access my windows explorer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 peteyduncan

peteyduncan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

I was trying to clean up unnecessary file on my computer and was asked about MSN files and hate the messenger.So I said to delete.Well once it was underway I realized that something was wrong.I didnt want to stop it mid stream because I figured it would be harder to undo.Anyway now some of my items wont access directly from my desktop.To get a browser window I have to click on somewhere I have already visited and type in the url.When I click on the IE logo it sends me to my internet properties window.This may not be related but my notepad when I cut and paste shows symbols instead of letters and this happens all the time no matter what the subject is.Thanks for the help in advance.Petey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi peteyduncan, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try doing a System Restore to a date prior to the changes.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 peteyduncan

peteyduncan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the fast response........I tried system restore and it gave an error message,could not restore to earlier date.Any other ideas would be appreciated.Petey

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

Try running SFX.EXE, if this doesn't work you will need to do a repair installation.

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to use the System File Checker (SFC) to examine and repair corrupt operating system files.

In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

References

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Microsoft Windows XP - Repair overview

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 peteyduncan

peteyduncan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

That didnt fix my problem and I dont know what to do from here.The scanner didnt recognize any problems with the folders.I tried to use microsoft updates and nothing....I even downloaded IE version 8.....nada.The msn messenger and all msn acessories are gone.I had to reload windows media player.There was a big chunk taken out when I deleted the files.Knowing exactly all that is gone?Is there anything else you know of to help me?Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

You can try a repair install of XP, if you have access to a Microsoft XP CD of the same version of your install.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#7 peteyduncan

peteyduncan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

I dont have a xp install cd it was preloaded, and the manufacturers cd doesnt give me the option to repair just reinstall completely.That would reformat my harddrive and that would be a last resort of course.

#8 peteyduncan

peteyduncan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Looks like I have exhausted all of the easy answers....Does anyone have any answers that can get me out of this predicament?Is more info. needed?I appreciate anything that is contributed.Petey

#9 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

What Service Pack do you have? Do you have acces to a CD burner?

Edited by jon0111387, 09 February 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#10 peteyduncan

peteyduncan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Service pack 3 and thats a yes to the cd burner.

#11 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

This link might be able to help you with SFC.EXE and get a Bootable SP3 disc.

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/wi...3-a-161951.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users