Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD-K6 in Socket 7....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

My computer specs as follows:

Diamond Flower Inc. G586IPV Rev AC
Pentium 200 Mhz Processor
64 MB SDRAM
1 Maxtor 20GB hard drive

It has more stuff, but I had stripped it to take care of some other issues, and its running on skeleton as above.

Regardless, I acquired a AMD-K6 class processor that's rated up to 400Mhz and is a Socket 7 type. There is no setting on the board for anything faster, and when I stick it in and turn it on, the screen has a bunch of green horizontal "snow" that wiggles back and forth until I turn it off. What's wrong? o.O

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

OK, I'm confused. How can you run a Pentium Processor in an AMD socket? If the mobo is made for Pentium, AMD will not work and vice versa.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

OK, I'm confused. How can you run a Pentium Processor in an AMD socket? If the mobo is made for Pentium, AMD will not work and vice versa.. :thumbsup:

You are too young (I wish I was).

Socket 5 and Socket 7 ran AMD K5/K6 CPUs as well as Pentium processors. Not all socket 7 boards supported the K6-II/III processors. Socket 7 boards don't support the correct voltage for later processors, hence the "Super Socket 7". Unless the motherboard and memory has the proper voltage/FSB capability, it just isn't going to work.

Edited by dpunisher, 09 February 2009 - 12:48 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:23 AM

really i didnt know the two were interchangeable either. lol wish they still were, might save a few bucks, that way i could by one motherboard and an intel and an amd CPU and just swap em out and play with which one i like more without buying 2 motherboards lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

Socket 5 and Socket 7 ran AMD K5/K6 CPUs as well as Pentium processors. Not all socket 7 boards supported the K6-II/III processors. Socket 7 boards don't support the correct voltage for later processors, hence the "Super Socket 7". Unless the motherboard and memory has the proper voltage/FSB capability, it just isn't going to work.

Hmmm..... I didn't know that, my first build was an AMD K6, and I tried to buy a mobo with an Intel socket and was told they were incapatable..

As to the problem, does an Intel chip work in the socket? What kind of video are you useing, on board or a card? If the Intel chip works fine, then I would guess the AMD chip is bad or not compatable. If the Intel chip does not work either, then maybe your video card is bad or if you on board video, maybe you need a video card...

Or maybe you've already tried this, if so, I'm out of ideas... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 11 February 2009 - 05:23 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:47 AM

I still have a new [in the box] BCM IN530 super socket 7 motherboard with a AMD K6 550MHz CPU on it. :thumbsup:

As for your problem the Intel CPU has a lower voltage then the AMD K6.
Look at the K6 & it should have the voltage on it.
Then check the motherboard around the socket area for jumpers or dip swotches to set the voltage.
There may be a little chart on the motherboard, if not you'll have to find a manual .
The voltage setting is very important.
Get it right the first time or you may fry the CPU !
There shoud also be jumpers for the front bus & multiplier that will need to be set for the AMD CPU.

Those old motherboards didn't have "auto detect" for much of anything.
Just about everything has to be set by jumpers .

It sounds like your AMD CPU isn't getting enough voltage to work .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hmm, thanks. I'll go check the motherboard settings when I get home from school tonight.

#8 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Yes, I believe its the voltage. The processor says 2.2V, and the motherboard is putting out 2.8. I'm surprised nothing exploded. D:

Oh well, so much for that idea, since I can't change the voltage to anything lower than 2.8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users