Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing the dial-up adapter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harddrive

Harddrive

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:21 PM

I recently had a man work on my computer and he installed his wireless adapter to connect to the internet thru his router set-up. Previously I used a dial-up connection and now it seems all my dial-up configuration has been lost.

Now that I have the computer back, I want to re-install the dial-up adapter, but, my IP said I would need the original "WinME Install disk" to install the adapter and re-establish my dialup connection...

The problem is, the OS was installed when I bought the computer and the only disks I have are for "WinME Recovery".

I may be wrong, but, it seems to me the computer guy should be responsible for reconnecting my dial-up...although, I should add that, I delivered the computer to him and picked it up. Don't want to place blame where it don't belong.

Am I doomed to using wireless now and finding an IP that offers wireless service or is there a way to install the dial-up adapter without the disk?

Or is the "WinME Recovery" disk what I need to re-install my dialup adapter?

Regards,
Harddrive :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ellisond

ellisond

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

What is on the WinME Recovery disk? It may have a directory called "win9x". This is where all the installation files for Windows ME are found.

I have a Recovery CD for an Acer laptop. It had a "win9x" directory where all the .cab files were located.

Having found the "win9x" directory, I can tell you how to get the dial-up adapter back, if you need that kind of help.

Regards,

Dave.

#3 Harddrive

Harddrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

Thank you Dave, for that information.

There are some recovery disks, but, I'm not sure what is on them.

What's the procedure? I'll print it out.

Thanks,
Harddrive :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:57 AM

You may have all the necessary files on your PC already, do a search for .cab files or look under My Computer>C: drive>Windows>Options and see if you have a string of files ending in .cab there. If you do then that's all you will need to restore dial-up networking.

Before you go to restore that have a look in Start>Programs>Accessories>Communications>Dial-up Networking and see how many network connections are defined there. The fellow who installed the wireless networking should not have needed to remove the dial-up network so it could still be there. If it is you can double click on the icon there and it should dial out as per normal.
If that works then all you need to do is tell your browser to dial using that connection rather than the wireless connection. To do this open Control Panel> Internet Options click on the Connections tab. Highlight your dial-up connection, click 'Set as Default' button and select the 'Always dial my default connection' button. (I'm doing this from memory as I don't have Win98 anymore so sorry if some of the names don't match)
Click OK to exit the Internet Options. Now when you double click your browser it should attempt to dial out as you wanted.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users