Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AGGGGGH! Disconnection problems!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Ok, history first'

AOL Broadband for around 6 years (Yeah I know, why don't I just change)!

Netgear DG834G v3 wireless router. (Previous router BT Voyager 100)

From the master BT socket I have a 3 mtr. screened ADSL cable leading to the wireless router. The wireless router is wired to the PC with a yellow cable. I have a telephone extention hard wired (by BT) behind the faceplate of master socket. I also have phone extention plugged into the front of the master socket. All phones filtered. Sky not plugged into phone line.

Right then...I have always had intemittent disconnection right from the start. It stopped when I upgraded to the current wireless router. It has started up again over the last year and now it constantly disconnects from the internet and there is a crackling on the phone sometimes.

What has been tried by me and the AOL 'helpline'

ALL the so called AOL One Clik Fixes. The one that seems to reconnect me most is the re-detecting Connection Devices.

All spyware/adware and virus checked and clear.

I have replaced all the filters. I have disconnected all phones when internet connection is lost but makes no difference.

AOL did a line check and apparently a connector at the exchange was replaced. It was ok for a while then it started disconnecting again.
They sent a BT engineer to my house who replaced the front of my master socket for a filtered one that did away for the need to filter each phone. He said all was in order and it was ok.......for a week. Now I constantly get disconnected again.

The latest from AOL is they say that I shouldn't have an ADSL extention from my master socket to the router as this will always cause disconnections because of interferences. Instead I should use the cable that was supplied with the wireless router to connect it to the master socket then if required I should get an extention (yellow?) cable from the router to the PC.

Does this last instruction sound feesable before I spend my money (just been made redundant) It sounds sort of possible as I have experienced disconections in some form or other ever since the begining 6 years ago.

Oh, those familar with my wireless router, when I cant connect the i light at the front goes orange and flashes. When connection freezes the i light is green and stays lit. When all is working ok the i light blinks as you work.

Over to you guys :thumbsup:

Edited by doresy, 09 February 2009 - 07:49 AM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users