Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which anti-virus....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

Ok ok i know this is an age old question wich has been asked a bazillion times but i really need help in it.

Im currently using a software called Spyware Terminator. I dont really like it and want to change it.

What is in your opinion(whoever is gonna reply to my post) is the best anti-virus for me.

Ok i know it sounds like super general so here somethings to narrow it down:
a) I dont want AVG free or paid. Ive used both. they have let me down. I have been scarred for life. Nvr again.
:thumbsup: I want a freeware software. Im broke lol. I blame the economy crisis.
c) And nothing to do with McAffee(or however you spell it) or norton. Too many bad reviews.

So yea i hoped i narrowed it down enough. Thanks!!!

Cheers,
Aaron M

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

I personally use Avira Anti-Vir on my main rig and my laptop.

Works perfectly, its free and its easy to use :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Spyware Terminator isn't an anti virus. It's anti spyware.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Im currently using a software called Spyware Terminator.

Spyware Terminator Features is not an anti-virus program per se although there is an option to install Clam Anti-virus integration.

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software
click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. Another factor to consider is whether you want use a paid for product or free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 tcgtechnician

tcgtechnician

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Avira is an excellent choice, it's a small program, loads and scans quickly, and it has a feature similar to AVG's resident shield, only better. Also, don't run only one piece of protection software on your system, this is the best set-up in my opinion.

Anti Virus - Avira AntiVir

Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware - Super Antispyware

Anti-Spyware - Spybot S&D 1.6.2

These three protection software applications will take care of all your protection needs without slowing down your system. :thumbsup:

#6 Flaxtelios

Flaxtelios

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

Comodo internet security :thumbsup: It's free and... I use it, but then again my computer has
been infected with malware many times over. Not to say the product wasn't effecient
it's just probably because I installed it at the later stages instead of earlier to prevent
BAD things from happening. :D

The free version is exactly like the paid (anti-virus wise) anyways.
There is also a nifty firewall :D

Edited by Flaxtelios, 11 February 2009 - 12:12 AM.

Hey I'm Kyle, It's an honour to be in your presence.... hey wait that's your line. :o
Sometimes the Hardest thing and the Right thing are the same.

#7 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

Before you make any decisions about an anti-virus look at some of the programs availiable at the download sites. Go to download.com, tucows.com, majorgeeks.com, and findmysoft.com or any number of other sites. Search free anti-virus look at the better reviewed ones by the sites and the downloaders using them. It may ttake a little time but you will make an informed decision and be happier with it instead of just doing something and regreting it.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Before you make any decisions about an anti-virus look at some of the programs availiable at the download sites. Go to download.com, tucows.com, majorgeeks.com, and findmysoft.com or any number of other sites. Search free anti-virus look at the better reviewed ones by the sites and the downloaders using them. It may ttake a little time but you will make an informed decision and be happier with it instead of just doing something and regreting it.

Comodo, Avira & SuperAntiSpyware are all free :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users