Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec troubles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimwormmaster

jimwormmaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:05 AM

So I've got Symantec Endpoint Protection on my computer. But I got a message today that says that my proactive threat protection definitions are out of date, so I need to run update. But I've run update 3 or 4 times since then, and it says that everything's up to date! Yet the proactive threat protection is still disabled, still saying I need to update the definitions... I'm running Windows Vista. Any idea what's up? Help is greatly appreciated!

[Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 09 February 2009 - 08:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

some discussion of this issue at https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/me...ding&page=4

#3 tcgtechnician

tcgtechnician

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

To be honest, quick, and to the point, remove the symantec software and install AVG or Avira. The reason for this is that most symantec products have become bloated and uneffective. In the end this software will cause more problems than it will resolve.

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

I am offered Symantec free with my provider and used it for years. I had problems like yours many times and often my PC was left unprotected as I had to do various fixes including complete uninstalls and reinstalls of the product. I finally had enough when my system resources were taxed beyond what I could tolerate. Even though I pay for Symantec through my provider I have settled on Avira free for antivirus and Comodo for free firewall protection. I have no more nightmares that happened with Symantec before period and my system is not overtaxed. Symantec does has a new product that is much better but the memory of so many issues remains and the fact that there are so many very good free products stops me from even considering it at this point.

#5 jimwormmaster

jimwormmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Actually, my problem is solved, as the very next day, it showed that the definitions were up to date. In fact, as I say this, I'm looking at the program itself, that says that the definitions are up to date as of the 10th, and the glitched update ocurred on the 9th. I think if you have to manually update, it takes a sec for the "last updated" thing to catch up. I haven't had any other problems other than this little hiccup with mine, but I'll make sure to check out the free software, just in case I need something else in the future.

Problem resolved, if there's a moderator out there, they can close/lock/delete/etc this topic if desired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users