Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cases

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mollymoo

mollymoo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

I've got an old coolermaster case that has a 6" x 3" approx grill on the front and behind it was a foam filter.
I decided to have a bit of a clean up inside and replace some noisy fans and due to the state of the filter ( It had picked up years of crap and cigarette smoke )
I decided to bin it. Does anyone know what to replace it with and if its possible to actually buy the same material or close on the high street? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Have you tried washing the filter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

clean it with can air and then stop smoking and every thing will be fine :thumbsup:

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

You can get the large electrostatic air filters from any Home Depot/Wal-Mart and cut it to fit whatever size you need. Don't bother with the cheap fiberglass mesh filters, trust me on that one. My computer enjoys the smoke from my Cohibas very much thank you.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 mollymoo

mollymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

to dc3 too late already binned and gone :huh:
to starcraftmaster a can of air wont get rid of accumulated nicoteen and if youd' of told me to give up smoking 22 years ago i'd of stood half a chance as it stands though we dont smoke in the house anymore due to the new kiddies :thumbsup:
to dpunisher cool i'll try to find one but we dont have home depot or walmart ( though asda is now owned by walmart ) i live in england but i shall look see what there is out there ta :huh:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

I would be very leery of installing an electrostatic dust filter in a computer, much less modifying one to fit as they use high voltage (4000 - 6000 Volts) to attract the dust to the collection plates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mollymoo

mollymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

wow what is an electrostatic dust filter , I thought it was just a fancy bit of material :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

You can read all about it here.

#9 mollymoo

mollymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yeah bit extreme ..... might just look for a bit of foam :thumbsup:

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Sometimes you people.........................................

The "electrostatic filter" I am referring to has no electrical input. It is just a dual layer filter that uses the friction of the air moving over the first media to charge the particulates and stick it to the second layer. The ones I use have a blue layer, followed by a black foam layer. I pay about $14 US for a big 24"X30" filter that I cut to fit my stuff. The reason I suggested that filter vs the cheapie ones is that they dont fray and once you cut them to size they don't unfold like the others.

Edited by dpunisher, 09 February 2009 - 12:56 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Because I've worked as an electrician for most of my adult life I tend to think of the electrostatic filters that are install in forced air handlers in residential and commercial applications. I'm glad that you cleared this up. Could you post a link for this filter?

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

Something similar to this:

http://www.lifetimeelectrostaticfilter.com/

Don't know how efficient they are compared to normal filters, I just get them because they are easy to cut and clean when the time comes.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

Scotchbrite pads work very well and clean rather easily
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 mollymoo

mollymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:39 AM

right or even a thin bath sponge would do the job thats pretty much what came out and its only to stop dust ...................... thers enough of it gets in other places that i dont need to be overly cautious its just to stop it at the grill really :thumbsup:

#15 mollymoo

mollymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

green scouring pads perfect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users