Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to turn a internal hard drive into a external harddrive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

hi guys please don't laugh but i want to turn a .....
don't laugh OK!

i want to turn a really, really old 20gb internal hard drive into a 20gb external hard drive. Now i've heared about these external inclosure and it seems like precisely what i need yet i have absolutely no idea which one i should buy for my over 9 year old hard drive its a (i think this is what it is) seagate u6 modle ST320410A i live in australia and really need some help any would be really great

Although this may seem childish (i am only 13) can you walk around with a external hard drive plug it in and it be ready to use in 1 minute and basicly use it as a usb.

ps. Sorry if in wrong place could tell which to put it in
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

An external enclosure would be the way to go, it would connect via USB. You can carry it around and use it with other computers as long as the operating system is compatible with the data on the drive. I feel that I should warn you about dropping or banging around the hdd, they don't respond well to this type of behavior.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

do you have any idea which one would be nice and cheap because i have looked around on the internet and it seems they don;t sell them in any stores and internets the only way to get one
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

The internet is a good way to go. I live in a rural area and purchase most of my parts online and have them delivered to my door, it doesn't get much better than that, and the prices are still competitive with retail stores.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 i am not known

i am not known
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

thanks i'll buy one and see how i go thankyou so much

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

I will just add a comment that you want to get an enclosure that accommodates 3.5-inch PATA/IDE drives, not necessarily one which only can use SATA drives or which accommodates 2.5-inch drives.

2.5-inch drives are laptop drives, while SATA drives employ different connectors.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users