Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivespace looping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

I am attempting to convert a FAT16 hard drive to a FAT32 system; however, its compressed. I did all the necessary checks to make sure that its ready to uncompress, and it gets to the point that it'll ask me to restart the system to complete the operation. I do so, but the computer just boots up normally. When I go back to DriveSpace, I get a message saying that the operation was interrupted and that if I want it to resume; the same process "loops" over and over again. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

I am attempting to convert a FAT16 hard drive to a FAT32 system; however, its compressed. I did all the necessary checks to make sure that its ready to uncompress, and it gets to the point that it'll ask me to restart the system to complete the operation. I do so, but the computer just boots up normally. When I go back to DriveSpace, I get a message saying that the operation was interrupted and that if I want it to resume; the same process "loops" over and over again. Help?

You haven't said which operating system you are using?

The old DriveSpace came out when drives were small. They compress files to safe space. The cost of hard drives today doesn't warrant using DriveSpace as it slows the system down anyway. As I understand it, it has to uncompress files before it can use them. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

Whoops, sorry. Windows 98

I'm actually just restoring a computer, but to make it FAT32 so it can use the 20GB hard drive, the data I copied off the partition of a 1GB drive was compressed. D:

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Whoops, sorry. Windows 98

Sorry I had to ask as we do get some WinXP users posting questions in here. Perhaps they have difficulty read the the forum title.

I'm actually just restoring a computer, but to make it FAT32 so it can use the 20GB hard drive, the data I copied off the partition of a 1GB drive was compressed. D:

Mine is a 20GB hard drive with Win98SE. I'm not sure how Drivespace do their compression. If they use the normal Windows compression then they are normally cab files which can be opened with WinZip.

Are this files important in the 1GB compressed drive? :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Not really, no. I would reinstall, except for the fact that I don't have Windows 98 anywhere, much less able to acquire it from someplace (Ebay always outbids me to some ridiculous 54 bucks). Most of my hardware comes from other people/places. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users