Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Greetings,

I have been using Zonealarm Free Editon for the last couple of years without any problems. However, I tried to update the program tonight. I received a message that the new version is incompatible with Windows 2000, which I have on my computer. Any thoughts on this?
Should I remove Zonealarm and use another firewall? If the answer is change to another firewall, do you have any recommendations? I've heard that Sygate is good freeware.

thanks
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

The latest free version of zone alarm free 8.0 no longer supports windows 2000, but you can continue to use the last version without a problem - lots of users still on 5.5, 6.5 or whatever there favorite version is - there is za guru on the za forum who uses 5.5

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

I appreciate the info, but isn't important to keep the firewall updated to deal with new issues?

rlight

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Apparently not. Unlike anti virus or anti spyware apps, a firewall is not subject to new definitions. I think we've all heard of users preferring old versions of popular firewalls because the company messes around with the product and screws it up. Sygate comes to mind immediately as a firewall that was a lot better five years ago and plenty of users prefer the old version.

#5 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Great!! Thanks for the help.

rlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users