Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down Randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LongCatIsLooooong

LongCatIsLooooong

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hi.
I hope this is in the right place.
I also hope that I'll be able to finish typing this all up before my computer shuts down again.

Here's information on my computer:
I have Windows Vista.
It's a laptop.
It's from HP.
It's the artist edition one (it looks so awesome!)

Okay, here's what happened about 1-2 weeks before the Lost series premiere thing on ABC (which was on January 21st 2009) :
I was watching Lost online so I could catch up on episodes I missed before the new season started. I was watching some episode on my laptop while I was sitting on my bed when all of a sudden the screen went black. I could still HEAR what was going on in the episode but no matter what I pressed the screen stayed black. I ended up having to press the power button for a long time until it finally closed. When I re-opened it, my computer "resumed" and after logging in everything was still open.

At first I thought it was a one-time thing, but after it happened again, I decided there was something wrong. I switched the battery (luckily I had another one) because I thought the problem might have something to do with that. But then it happened again the next day with that battery.

Oh, I forgot to say this, but probably every time this happened my laptop was connected to the charger and was fully charged.

Then, I have no idea why, it finally stopped about 5 days before the premiere.

As you can see, it wasn't just last week that this happened. It was last month. So it might have nothing to do with my CURRENT PROBLEM at all. Remember, some time passed between when what happened above happened and what happened below happened.

Just yesterday I installed a game called Gunz on my friends computer. I wanted to play with him (it's online) so I also downloaded/installed it and started playing today. After about 8 minutes my computer screen went black. This time, though, it was different. It happened when I was in the middle of the game. When the screen went black I don't think there was any audio this time. Also, my computer closed automatically this time. I didn't have to press the power button, it just closed after about 1 minute of being black.

When it closed, I re-opened it and I got the screen that said "Resuming" or whatever and my computer resumed. Everything EXCEPT the game was open.

Again, I thought it was a one-time thing. I was wrong. It happened again. Then it happened again. Then it happened again. And then I got so frustrated I almost cursed my computer, smacked it with a chinchilla, and threw it out the window. I switched the battery and now I'm on this website.

Oh, and also, this time around it only happened when I was in the game.

Now, can someone PLEASE help me? This is SO frustrating and I REALLY want to be able to play.

Thanks a ton in advanced!

YAY MY COMPUTER DIDN"T SHUT DOWN RANDOMLY WHILE I WAS TYPING THIS!!!

EDIT*** I was rereading this and I realized I made a mistake. A BIG ONE. When this problem happened when I was watching Lost, it didn't resume at first. At first, I pressed the power button to open it and the computer opened for about 20 seconds and then closed. I didn't even get to the password screen. After waiting a long time, I tried again and it opened and resumed.

Also, if it matters, my computer can get really hot on the left side, but basically stays cold on the right side.

Edited by LongCatIsLooooong, 08 February 2009 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

. I was watching some episode on my laptop while I was sitting on my bed when all of a sudden the screen went black.

Also, if it matters, my computer can get really hot on the left side, but basically stays cold on the right side.

The left side is where the processor is located and it will heat up somewhat. There are vents on the bottom and the back for air to go in and out. Using it on the bed you are more than likely blocking the vents and the computer is overheating
Try setting the laptop on top of a tray or book so the air can move around and through the laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LongCatIsLooooong

LongCatIsLooooong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

So that's the problem? Because when I was playing the game last time my laptop was on the table and it just shut off...
But maybe it is the problem...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

Often a laptop will get enough dust in it to impede the cooling - so in addition to putting it on a hard, level surface, you may have to blow it out with a can of compressed air (don't use a vacuum cleaner or an air hose!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 stressmaster

stressmaster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

i have had this problem before as well you need to blow out the heat sink.. if you notice that it helps alittle but you still have problems then you may have to have someone take apart your laptop and manually clean the heat sink. this happens form not regularlly blowing the dust out and it will clump on the intake side of the heatsink so if you blow it out do it from the exaust side(hot side) first or you may jam the dust in harder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users