Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Generic Users?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 franhines

franhines

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I have very many duplicate files and folders on my computer and I have no idea whether or not it is SAFE to delete some.

I was very impressed with the program, RSIT.exe, offered to see what, where, etc., is on one's computer so that the member can be helped in removing a virus.

(1) What I'd like to know is whether or not you have a similar program where you can look at my computer and tell me which files/folders I can remove to whittle the programs listed there down to only the ones I want.

(2) Many of these programs are shown under various users on my computer: Admin., Owner, Default, Guest , User, AND the added account that has my name on it. Is it possible to simply delete some on these "users"? In particular since there are six options and only one of me - I cannot see any reason to have them when I am the only one using this computer.

Having posted these questions a couple of other places and not having my question answered but instead, being told to "leave them alone", I am looking forward to your response. Thank you for any help you can give me. [SIGNED: franhines]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi franhines, and welcome to BleepingComputer,

Most programs that will delete duplicate files are known to be registry cleaners which can cause more harm than benefits. In some cases they can actually render the computer inoperable because of the changes they have made to the registry.

What kind of duplicate files are you referring to? System files, personal files...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 franhines

franhines
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Here is an example of what I DON'T want:

OWNER:______|____DEFAULT:___|____ADMIN:______|___FRANHINES:
Programs____ |____Programs____|___ Programs ___ |___Programs
Accessories___|____Accessories__|___Accessories___ |___Accessories
Firefox_______|____Explorer_____|___ Dominoes____|___Firefox

The user folders, "OWNER, DEFAULT, ADMIN, FRANHINES" hold not
only the same files as each other but files that the other's
don't contain at all.

I want to clean up my computer so I have ONE owner with ALL programS
under its heading, or as close to that arrangement as I can get - No users
other than myself.

Edited by franhines, 09 February 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

with xp with an admin account just go into control panel then click user accounts. from there you will see the various accounts, click the one you want to delete, it will bring up several options, click delete account. it will then ask you if you want to keep the users files or not, click keep them. this will save all the photos and documents in that account and transfer them to the adminstrator account you are in automatically.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Sounds to me like you are trying to eliminate the default subfolders/settings for the way Documents & Settings works in XP.

I don't think that can easily be done, if at all...but I've been wrong before.

You might be interested in http://windowsxp.mvps.org/restprofile.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users