Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connectoin Sharing problem...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nexis

Nexis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Last week I was having virus/malware issues and in the midst of getting through that, my ICS stopped working. The amazingly helpful security tech guy sent me over here. So, here's my problem.

One afternoon during the cleansing of my pc, my power went out and when I started the computers back up the ICS was automatically disabled. The is the head computer for our family, we have 3 computers right now, there are 8 members in my family so this is quite a problem with 8 of us fighting over one computer now.

The LAN is working, I can play LAN games with my brothers, I can share folders, just no internet. Got that "Limited or no connectivity" thing.

When I go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Wireless Network Connection Properties, Advanced tab, I click Settings on the Internet Connection Sharing area and it gives me a "Please wait" sign for a split second and nothing happens. When I try to enable ICS I get this error message:

"An error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled. (null)"

Any ideas?

Edit: By the way I'm running windows XP SP2.

Appreciatively, Nexis.

Edited by Nexis, 08 February 2009 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I would try booting the computer in Safe mode and then try enabling your ICS with the steps your attempted earlier. I would also recommend logging on an administrator as some functions require administrative permissions.

To boot your computer in safe mode, do the following:
Shutdown your computer
Start>Shut down>Shutdown

Wait till your computer shuts down, then turn it back on.

After 4-5 seconds, start pressing the f8 key until a black screen appears, choose safe mode.
The f8 key is located on the top of the keyboard.

I hope this helps, let me know of your results. :thumbsup:
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users