Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard capacitors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

I picked up an older HP 760n a couple months ago and did a format and reinstall of XP home, everthing went smoothly and it's still running.

I opened the case after the reinstall and the heatsink was pretty filthy so I blew it out and I noticed there are two capacitors out of like six that run along side the cpu that have some orange crusty stuff on the top of them.

I was wondering if that could be because it was probably running hotter than normal for some time? Or maybe just cause it's about a 6 or 7 year old computer?

Also, I always thought that if you had bulging or a capacitor that leaked that your mobo wouldn't work. Could someone please explain a little more about that.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

thats definetly not a good sign. its possible their working for now, but it wont be long before it dies on you totally. And yes it could be why its running hot. personally its older, Id just run it till it blows. you could replace the motherboard or capacitors if you know how to soder, but if it were me Id just save up for some more modern equipment.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

It might be a small enough leak that the crust formation sealed the leak, but I sure wouldn't depend on it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know how long the capacitors have been like that already so I am hoping they'll last till summer is here and I will have so more bucks to buy something newer.

It's mostly used just for email and letting the kids play games, so maybe if the cpu isn't being stressed too hard it'll go till then. Guess I'll find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users