Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product comparison

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TexasRock

TexasRock

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:26 PM

I have a question for all you PC gurus out there...

Is Sygate Firewall, Trend Micro and Trojan Hunter better than Norton Internet Security and Norton Anti-Virus???

I am thinking of installing the Sygate, Trend and Trojan Hunter on my PC, would this be ok?

Thanks!

TR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

I am thinking of installing the Sygate, Trend and Trojan Hunter on my PC, would this be ok?

Yes, you should be able to run all three of these security applications at the same time. I run Trojan Hunter, Kaspersky Personal (AV) and EZ Firewall (ZoneAlarm) with no conflicts and they all have monitors running in the background. Tren Micro's antivirus goes by the name of PC-Cillan. It includes a firewall but I've heard it's not very good. You wouldn't want to run that and Sygate at the same time.

Is Sygate Firewall, Trend Micro and Trojan Hunter better than Norton Internet Security and Norton Anti-Virus???

Well, first of all, Norton AV is a part of the Norton Internet Security suite. I've not run NIS myself but I've heard that the program is very resource intensive and very hard to uninstall completely. I ran NAV 2003 for the first year I had this PC and was pretty happy with it. The reason I switched was because I didn't like the idea of having to pay for an upgrade to 2004, fee-based phone support and having to jump thru hoops to find email support.

Now some will tell you that Norton bites. It does miss a lot lately it seems. But that's because they only update their definitions once a week unless there is a major outbreak, IMO. A lot of the new malware that can get in because the definitions aren't current can also disable whatever AV you have installed.

I don't know how often PC-Cillan updates its definitions, but when I was looking to switch it was in my top three.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users