Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL RUNS SLOW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Lawrence

Sir Lawrence

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

To date this is what I have done to speed up my Pc.

Installed MacAfee
Installed Adware
Installed Spybot
The above three I run at least once a week

Run scan Disk twice a week
Defrag once a week
Empty temp files weekly
Deleted unecessary programs
Deleted any P2P downloads
Deleted all music and video downloads

Had Comcast come out. Personal opinion the suck!

I have firewall protection

ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE WILL HELP my email is

Thanks

Sir Lawrence

Edited by The weatherman, 08 February 2009 - 05:46 PM.
Removed email address.~tW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

First replace Mcafee with Avira Antivirus. Because even though Mcafee is famous it still isn't the best and also sows down your computer. Avira has one of the best detection rates even better than Mcafee. It also offers rock solid protection that even blocks dangerous scripts. It blocks malware that even the best antivirus software misses. It's rated the best as well as a 5 star solution at download.com. Go do some research online you'll see. It also barely ever slows down your computer and has fast scanning. Uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller which will completely uninstall any software. It will even accomplish broken uninstalls. So it'salot more powerful than ordinary xp add or remove program. It cleans up left behind traces in the registry as well in the disk by the application.Also replace adaware and spybot with either malwarebytes or asquared free. Both are one of the antispyware programs available and wayyy better than spybot and adaware.

Now get a startup manager to remove any irrelevant startup entries to speed up startup. A good one that's as small as 59KB.Here is the link:http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml You can either download download the standalone version which is 34KB or the control panel applet version which installs a startup icon in the control panel, ehich is 59KB.

http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1590&page=1
http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/480183.htm
FOLLOW THESE LINKS AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EACH AND EVERYONE OF THE TWEAKS PROVIDED ON THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES. AND I'M SURE THAT YOU'RE COMPUTER WILL BE 300% -500% FASTER!

ALSO RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER ICON,PROPERTIES,ADVANCED TAB,VIRTUAL MEMORY,CHANGE. THEN FIND OUT THE ACTUAL AMOUNT OF RAM THAT YOU HAVE AND MULTIPLY IT BY 3 AND THEN TYPE THAT IN THE MAXIMUM SIZE BOX. FOR THE INTIAL SIZE MULTIPLY YOUR AMOUNT OF RAM BY 1.5. CLICK SET THEN OK AND RESTART.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 1GB OF RAM MULTIPLY YOUR ACTUAL AMOUNT OF RAM BY 1 FOR THE INITIAL SIZE.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 09 February 2009 - 02:18 PM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

Revo Uninstaller is a powerful tool. You should first try to use the Add/Remove Programs feature first
Also when uninstalling Norton you should use the appropriate removal tool
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

Removing McAfee Automatically

McAfee has created an automatic removal program to remove the following software products when the normal removal methods fail. It does not work with Windows 98 or Windows ME. The removal tool deletes all traces of the following products in Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Home and Professional, and Windows Vista.

• McAfee Security Center
  • McAfee VirusScan
  • McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
  • McAfee Privacy Service
  • McAfee SpamKiller
  • McAfee Wireless Network Security
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor
  • McAfee Data Backup
  • McAfee Network Manager
  • McAfee Easy Network
  • McAfee AntiSpyware
Follow these directions to download the McAfee Removal Tool and run it to remove the above programs.
  • Click on the following link to download the MCPR removal tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens...es/MCPR.exe
  • Click Save and save the file to your desktop
  • Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool. Windows Vista users will have to right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator"
  • After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer.
  • Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.
  • If for any reason there appears a red X during the uninstall, go to the following location for more advanced uninstall instructions involving the registry.

http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid...mp;docid=419397
Extra Optional Steps
  • Open My Computer, double-click on Drive C
  • Double-click on Program Files
  • Look for any McAfee product folders that remain. Right-click on them and choose Delete
  • Close My Computer and other folders
USE THESE DIRECTIONS TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL MCAFEE. ALSO ONLY USE IT REMOVE THE PRODUCTS LISTED ABOVE.IF YOU DON'T ANY OF THE PRODUCTS LISTED ABOVE THEN USE THE ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAM IN XP TO REMOVE YOUR MCAFEE PROGRAM. GOOD LUCK. :thumbsup:
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Since you already have Spybot installed on your system, just use that to get rid of any unnecessary programs that are loading on startup. Use the toolbar in Spybot to choose advance view and then click on tools, then click on startup. Then you can see what all you have loading on startup and if there is something that you do not want to load on startup, just uncheck the box.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 1GB OF RAM MULTIPLY YOUR ACTUAL AMOUNT OF RAM BY 1 FOR THE INITIAL SIZE.

I do not believe that a lot of ram is really necessary, my system runs great with only 640 meg of ram. I am running XP and never feel my system is running slow.

Btw Sir Lawrence, do not leave Adaware or Spybot running all the time in the background, those will only slow your system down more, just run them on occassion. I find that other spyware programs, such as Malwarebytes and SuperareAntiSpyware, scan quicker and find more threats than Spybot but I love Spybot for its tools. I do not have Tea Timer running (not sure but that might slow down your system as well) but I do use its SD Helper and Immunize features as well as its other IE and system features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users