Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Miscellaneous

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tripleblack

tripleblack

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I have multiple issues that began occurring at around the time that I installed
Hotfix for XP KB954550-v5, which was necessary by Microsoft Update. Here are the
annoying problems:

1. The volume control tray icon disappears every time reboot computer........must
"enable" it every reboot.
2. Hewlett Packard Deskjet 932c tray icon disappears every reboot, and must be enabled
same as volume icon.
3. On shutdown get message that "Spyware Doctor" program is not ending in time for
shutdown.............this happens EVERY shutdown.
4. On shutdown get message that ".Net Broadcast" program is not ending in time for
shutdown................this happens about 50% of the time.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Who said you had to download the hotfix?
did you download Spyware Doctor or did it just appear. I would remove it and see if the problems persists
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hotfix "cannot be removed" using control panel/add, delete programs.
I ran a regedit cleanup program, and the 2 programs that did not end on time, now do end on time, and shutdown is now fast as it always was.

I am still left with the annoyance of having to renew BOTH tray icons (Hewlett Packard printer, and windows volume control). I can do this by simply logging off and then logging back on again. Shouldn't the computer log me off, and then back on every time I shut down and then reboot? Why must I log off/on every time I reboot, in order to renew those two tray icons?

#4 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Problem solved!
I found the FIX here:
http://winhlp.com/node/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic