Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with software programmer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adnamA52

adnamA52

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

I will try not to be long winded- My husband has been trying to get a software program developed now for 4 years. Two programmers down. And trying to start with another. We have tried to use people that were refered and thought they could be trusted to do the job. The second time we had (had) is the operative word, a project manager and a programmer. How when you know next to nothing about software development do you keep a project from falling apart.
1. Isn't there some kind of guide or template out there that states that step one is this -step 2 is this - and can give an outline that would tell us what we should expect a programmer to do, know and when and what we should be getting and expecting along the way to keep the project on course. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

Isn't there some kind of guide or template out there

No. Other than normal rules of business. Maybe you should be looking at the terms under which you employ the programmers - what's in the contract? Put in clauses about acceptability, usability, support, delivery timeframe, penalties for non-performance, and so on. Hey if I can think of this any competent lawyer should be able to tie these guys in knots.

What kind of software are you talking about? Machine code? 4GL? Web page design? Maybe you should be taking the job to a company and getting a quote for the finished product rather than trying to find the right person to make it for you piece by piece?

These are just my personal thoughts, others more experienced than I may have specific suggestions.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 smilewithme

smilewithme

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

I am a student.The most important thing for me is to study hard.Not only the books,but some practical exprience.I wish someday I can be hired by a famous computer company.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

As a project manager I know the kinds of problems you go through. Here is a simple analysis of the project life cycle:

http://www.maxwideman.com/papers/plc-models/texts.htm

One of the best ways to manage a project is to learn to properly use software like MS Project to define and assign each step in the process. Even if you use outside resources to code, the preliminary definition and design of the program is really critical.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

Hello, does your husband hope to sell his product? i guess he probably doesm but if he doesn't you could put it out to the open source community.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#6 earlster

earlster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

There are different approaches, but since this is a small project ( I guess, if there is only one programmer working on it at a time ), I would make sure the following steps are followed:

- Write down what the program is supposed to do. What are the inputs, and what are the outputs. Break this down into major components of functionality.
- Have the programer write a proposal of how long each of the different components of the system will take.
- Ask for a mock-up (prototype) of the application, if possible.
- Ask for status reports every 2 weeks, and what he/she intends to do for the next 2 weeks.
- Get an explanation why things are late. (And there will always be late deliverables, that's just the name of the game).
- If your specs are unclear, or if you change direction/features during development, expect delays.
Webmaster of Biometrics Forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users