Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New notebook, new game, won't run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hi all. I'm not sure if the problem is Vista or a security program or what, but my new notebook running Vista won't run a new (genuine) game correctly.

I'm sure that the disc is ok as it installs and runs ok on my desktop (XP). With the notebook, the game appears to install ok, runs through the titles and starts for 10 - 30 secs, then freezes and shuts off the game with an error message similar to "there was an unknown problem, windows has shut down your game." I have to use task manager to unfreeze the computer and get control of the cursor back again.

I've uninstalled the game, cleared the computer with CCleaner and done a fresh install - twice - but get the same result. Like I said, I then took the same disc and installed it fine on my desktop, where it ran for ages with no bother.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do to find out what's causing the problem? Even the error message seems to be a mystery!

Cheers, Moose.

If it makes any difference, the notebook is a Dell with a much higher spec than the desktop, and they both run the same security software: AVG antivirus, ZoneAlarm free firewall, AdAware, Spybot S+D etc. I can post more dets if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tr4656

tr4656

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

What is this game you are trying to play?

#3 tr4656

tr4656

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Your firewall may have blocked it. Also try running it as administrator.

#4 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

The game is Lego Bionicle Heroes, and I have tried to run it both on my son's user account and mine (the administrator account). For what it's worth, I have just installed and played Crysis with no trouble.

STOP PRESS.... I AM AN IDIOT. It has just been suggested that I read the box... I did, and there's no mention of Vista, only XP. I thought that as it was a new-ish game it would run on Vista, but I guess I was mistaken. I will now go and sit in the corner with a dunce hat on!

Thanks for trying to help anyway... I am clearly beyond help if I made an idiot error like that! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Moose.

Edited by the_moose, 09 February 2009 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users