Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup and recovery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Can you have more than one backup and recovery system on the same computer, I.E. Windows and Erunt working at the same time. Also what is the best way to store a recovery backup and then test it to see if it really works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Do you only want to backup the registry or all data on the hard drive?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Registry for now. When I get a remote H.D. maybe all of the hard drive. I want to put my personal accounting on a remote H.D. and be able to unplug it so when I'm on line that hard drive can't be accessed by some one other than me. I will go off line and do my business and then unplug the remote SATA H.D.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

I think ERUNT is a good application for backing up the registry. With ERUNT you have to run the programme and create the backup manually. It does not run in the background, so to speak. As such, it will not conflict with any other software.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the information. I will try Erunt.

#6 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

I have ERUNT set up to perform a back up each time I boot. So I make sure I do a fresh boot every morning. It is manual in the sense that I have to reboot but it requires no other action on my part.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thank you Justa sounds good. How long do you keep old backups or does ERUNT only store the new backup.

#8 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi Layback Bear,
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for NT) works on all versions of Windows through Vista. The auto-backup feature creates a new backup the first time you boot each day and stores 30 days back ups in a folder. You can select less back ups to be retained if you like but I would go for the 30 days if you have the hard drive space. Subsequent reboots during the day do not create additional backups for that day. So I make sure I do a fresh boot first thing each morning. I can restore my registry to the registry condition at first boot of any chosen day for the last 30 days. If I remember correctly I used the default settings to install the program and it created an ERUNT folder within the Windows folder. When it installs it will ask you to make ERUNT a shortcut in the Startup folder to create a backup each day. Be sure to allow the creation of this Startup. The back up for each day creates a folder for each day so they are very easy to find. To restore go to the folder for that day and click on the excutable ERNT.exe

Since NT Windows does create a registry backup each day like the older versions of Windows did. There are many user selectable options within ERUNT. The README.TXT for ERUNT is 14 pages but well worth the time spent compared to the time saved to avoid having a completed reinstall of Windows!!

Here is the link to the ERUNT download.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

The readme is located the detailed information link.

Good Luck

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for your quickness. I did down load ERUNT and set to default.

#10 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

You are welcome Layback Bear. This utility is so much better than the one provided by Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users