Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching a hard drive with xp to a computer that has a hard drive with windows 98

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

OK here is what I got,

1 Emachines w2646 running xp with a 40gb hard drive and a intel celron 2.60ghz processor
1 Emachines w3115 running xp with a 120gb hard drive and a amd sempron 3100+ processor
1 HP vectra vl series 5/166 with a 1.2gb hard drive and a intel pentium processor 31.0MB RAM

On the w2646 I believe the motherboard got fried, I've tried changing the power supply, using the one from my other emachines computer, the thing just wont turn on.

I then placed the hard drive in the w3115 as a slave and it works just fine.

So I know the hard drive is still ok.

So here is my question, Can I take that hard drive back out of the w3115 and put it in place of the hard drive on the HP?

I recently just got the hp for free, (given to me by a friend) I was planning on putting the bigger hard drive in there with the xp os, then networking the w3115 and the Hp, plus my to laptops running xp and vista, up for file sharing and printer sharing, and making the Hp the Admin computer where all the files get stored, I'm part owner of a non profit organization and it would be nice to have everything for that in one place but still access them from all the other computers. Eventually I would like to turn one of them into a small server. And give my fellow co-workers access from the net.
If someone could help me out it would be great. I'm not real good with computer hardware but win it comes to software give me a few days and I can usually fix the problem.

So thanks for any help ahead of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Well...chances are that the HP Vectra...with P166 processor and BIOS to fit...will be unable to deal with a larger hard drive...unless Windows XP SP1 is installed first.

If you are asking can you simply move the hard drive with XP installed on it...to a different system...well, it can be done but it's not recommended.

Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Frankly...I'm surprised that you can get a P166 system to do anything today. My first system was P166 back in 1996 and it was pretty limited compared to today's systems.

Louis

#3 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH, LOOKS LIKE I'LL JUST USE THE CASE FROM THE W3646 GUT IT AND JUST BUILD A NEW ONE AND GO BUY XP OR VISTA. tHE P166 IS LIKE NEW AND HARDLY NEW AND IT ISN'T HOOKED UP TO ANYTHING YET. IT ALSO LOOKS LIKE SOME ONE GOT IN THERE WHEN THEY BOUGHT IT AND MADE A FEW UPGRADES RIGHT AWAY, RAM AND SUCH.

THANKS AGAIN. YOU SAVED ME A LOT OF TIME.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Before you try this I would suggest backing up any important files to removable media, like CDs, DVDs, or flash drives.

Just to add to the Michael Steven article...

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Edited by dc3, 08 February 2009 - 01:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Thanks again Guys, I do have a another quick question, if I update the hard drive to xp can I put the bigger hard drive in as a slave drive to use it as storage with no problems?

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

should be able to no problem, ive done it in the past.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

I would wipe the hdd with a application like Darik's Boot and Nuke and then partition and format it before adding it as a Slave.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2009 - 12:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users