Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now you see it, now you dont

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Well i got a virus the other day. I scanned the file with the anti virus i use now but as usual i dont trust my anti-virus. So i kaspersky online scanner the bugger n lo n behold a trojan. now since the online scanner does not remove the virus i tried deleting it manually. but it wont because i every time i try to, it says file being used by another programme. but im sure its not cause i closed all other programmes. So then i tried kaspersky scanner one more time n this time, nothing came up. what should i do?

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Does this thread relate to the same computer ??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=192014&hl=

How many people actually share this computer and are any of them still using the Limewire File sharing program?

Which currently is your installed antivirus program, and when was it last fully updated ?

You have two malware-finding programs given in the other thread? Have you fully updated them both yet and rerun scans with them ?

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

yup it does.

me and my elder brother use this comp.

yea i use limewire.

I use Spyware Terminator(im tinking of changing it) and Spybot Search and Destroy. Yes they are updated.

Well actually the prob is solved. i restarted my comp n then tried to delete the file n i managed to do it so yea. but since u asked, any suggestions for a good anti-virus? im looking for a free one n anything other than AVG(i used it last time but dint get very good results.)

oh yea n one of my frens even suggested downloading one illegally cause he said he is gonna do tat. i really dont tink tats a gud idea. how to i tell him not to. wats exactly the bad tings about getting anti-virus illegally?

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

oh yea n one of my frens even suggested downloading one illegally cause he said he is gonna do tat. i really dont tink tats a gud idea. how to i tell him not to. wats exactly the bad tings about getting anti-virus illegally?

If you wish to try to keep YOUR computer clean and free from viruses you will , I suggest, wish to ignore this piece of 'advise', as having illegal programs on any computer is inviting trouble from any number of sourses

Do not forget you are using Limewire which is a file-sharing program

So that you are the more fully informed about the risks of using such programs I thought you might like to read this information on the malware forum

http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic....=11&t=33112

It makes very interesting reading and I suggest you maybe make note of these specific parts

P2P programmes form a direct conduit onto your computer, their security measures are easily circumvented, and Malware writers are increasingly exploiting them to spread their wares onto your computer. Further to that, if your P2P programme is not configured correctly you may be sharing more files than you realise. There have been cases where people's Passwords, Address Books and other personal, private, and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured programme.

Many of the programmes come bundled with other unwanted programmes, but even the ones free of any bundled software are not safe to use.

When you use them you are downloading software from an unknown source directly onto your computer, bypassing your Firewall and Anti-Virus software. Hardly surprising then that many of these Downloads are being targeted to carry infections.

Does that help you to decide ON your antivirus program and your continued use OF Limewire?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users