Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Hardrive Prevents Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

I've just bought a Buffalo Drive station USB hard drive 1TB. If I leave it connected the computer won't boot. I've been into BIOS and changed to boot from hard drive C.
It boots fine if the usb is disconnected but the hard drive is not seen when the usb is reconnected nor does it switch off when the computer does or function correctly.
The hard drive is recognized if I connect usb and power after the computer boots up and it functions correctly
Device manager gives code 10 to the problem when the usb is connected retrospectively and power left on
A Dell dimension 4600 with XP service pack 3
All ideas welcome
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TGP 1994

TGP 1994

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

Could you tell me what exactly the Error code 10 is? You might also want to make sure you have the latest BIOS update from Dell and from Buffalo.

#3 Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thanks BIOS download seems to have sorted it, stared doing it last night and left it it my dell list.
Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

FWIW: I believe this has been seen to happen in situations where the user has enabled USB boot options in the BIOS and also has an external USB drive attached.

Louis

#5 Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Rebooted just now back to same old problem. Lots of people seem to have this hassle.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Why is the external drive powered...at boot? Does it have an on/off switch?

Louis

#7 Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

No on/off switch Louis it powers up when the computer switches on and off and shuts down into power saving mode when not in use. It makes disconnecting a gamble as I'm sure I should not just disconnect the power cord on a hard drive. But when it powers up with the computer the computer will not boot.

I get these messages in the events scheduler with red errors next to them

Application: Error 08 / 2 / 09 20 : 07:56 Automatic update Scheduler events 101 System
Dialog Box : This service is not authorized to start .

System
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7000
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7009
Error 08 /02/09 20:10:01 Service control manager None 7009

The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
or
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler service to connect.
Ed

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Live Update...should refer to NAV. Is that installed on your system?

FWIW: http://www.file.net/process/adildr.sys.html

Re the Service Control Manager errors: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ger&phase=1

The best suggestion I can give you regarding Live Update is to uninstall/reinstall your Symantec application and update it. I used NIS/NAV for about 5 years and it seems that file corruption can result in Live Update snafus. Which renders the system in a weakened protective state, since no new defs are being downloaded.

When uninstalling any Symantec app...I find it best to manually edit the registry and file folders for everything and anything "Symantec" before doing a reinstall. Alternatively, use the Norton Removal Tool - http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Louis

#9 Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:45 AM

Thanks Louis got rid of Nortons remains now I just need to deal with the Service Control Problem.The new harddrive is behaving but the computr still hangs from time to time and on shut down. I'll try system restore.
Thanks again

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I suspect that the Service Control errors stem from unsuccessful attempts by NAV/Live Update to update the system.

I would suggest running chkdsk /r (or the equivalent) on your C: partition, to attempt to minimize system problems.

To run chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer in XP:

Click Start, and then click Computer. Right-click the volume you want to check, and then click Properties. Click the Tools tab, and then click Check Now.

Do one of the following:

a. To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically Fix File System Errors check box, and then click Start. This results in some repairs, but is not the best option for checking the hard disk.

b. To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For And Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors check boxes, and then click Start. Best option available for running a check of the hard drive and recovering data which might be in bad sectors of the partition/drive.

Chkdsk will run immediately if the volume is not in use (any partition other than C:) and then display the results in a dialog box. If the volume is in use (C: will be busy because C: contains Windows), Chkdsk will ask if you want chkdsk to run at next boot. Type Y, hit Enter.

Next reboot will trigger chkdsk, allow to run to completion.

After running, Chkdsk adds the results to the Application tab of the Event Viewer log with a source of Winlogon.

The Event Viewer log entry will contain the entire Chkdsk output, including details about any changes made to the volume. The user/owner can search Event Viewer for older Chkdsk entries and compare, if user wishes to determine if there is a pattern of errors.

Contrary to what some seem to think...the appearance of errors during a chkdsk is not necessarily a sign that the owner/user needs to replace a hard drive. The diagnostic utility which can be downloaded from the website of the manufacturer...is a much better indicator of such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users