Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create an e-mail hosted on my website

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hey :thumbsup: this is my website and i need to have a better more professional e-mail account and not a hotmail one, is there anyway i could do this so it opens in outlook and i gess my address would be oliver@.... a bit long but it dosent matter.

Thanks, Wolfy87.

Edited by KoanYorel, 08 February 2009 - 03:47 PM.
to disable email per board rules

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

As far as creating the actual account, you would generally need to do that through your hosting company. They would need to set it up for you, and provide you with the server addresses so you can send and receive your e-mails. As far as creating links to your e-mail account, you would create them in much the same way as a regular link:
<a href="mailto:you@domain.com">Text</a>

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Well im using Webs.com which is a free hosting company and i doubt could set one up :/ although could i use the mailto link even though i am using hotmail?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

#4 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

I just added it in anyway on the contact me page :thumbsup: and it seems to work thanks.

Wolfy87.

#5 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

Oh, and i just added my icon :thumbsup: hit F5 and look to the left of the url (bit obvious but still :])

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Something you may want to look into us using Gmail with your own domain (instead of @Gmail.com). It's free (I've not used it, though) and you can have an address like oliver@occode.webs.com (or, for $10 a year you can register your own domain name like oliver@occodes.com). That way people can e-mail you at the nice, professional-looking address and have it routed to your Gmail account (messages you send wil also appear to be coming from the domain you use.)

I'm not sure whether it will all work what with you using webs.com. It ought to, I think. Just make sure you put in occode.webs.com as your domain on the form.

http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I am not sure that setting it up through gmail would be possible. In most cases, you need to be able to point the MX record for the domain to Google's email servers - this is something that is not possible if you have a subdomain. If you register your own domain through a service like GoDaddy (only mentioning them because I have domains through them and they give a lot of control over your domain) you can point the domain at your server, and set the MX record to whatever mail service you want to use.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#8 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

who did you get your domain name throught? With mine, i used crazy domains, there is an option for email forwarding, i have Brad@forum-indoor.info (an email address at my domain) to my windows live email forum-indoor@live.com.au which works well, i can also set up as many of these as i want.

I'd sus them out and see if they have this option.

I also run my own mail server on my server which handles my outgoing mail (submitted forms and what not) that forwards any mail coming in to the address Brad@forum-indoor.info to my windows live one, just in case.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users