Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a little help....

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

I need to download something onto my C drive. It will only let me download it onto the C drive. The problem is that my C drive has a total size of 13 GB, and the thing that I need to download requires 8 GB of free space and I'm quite a ways from having that. I have plenty of space on my D drive, but it will not allow me to download it there. I believe that is because it must be downloaded on the same drive as Windows.

I've been told that repartitioning my drives could be an option. Is there a way for me to take some of that free space from my D drive and relocate it to my C drive? That would be perfect, but I'm pretty computer illiterate and know very little about that. I'm not exactly sure how to check and see if my C and D drive are two separate hard drives, but was told that that was something I would need to figure out.

If anyone could help me out with any of this I would greatly appreciate it. In responding, it may be best for you to act as if you are talking to a 6 year old because my knowledge of certain computer technology is pretty limited. Any help is welcome, and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:22 AM

I can't think of any reason that you can't download it to your D: drive. Having said that, even if you do get it on your D: drive, it still won't fit on C: if its something that needs to be installed there.

Right click the C: drive in My Computer and click properties. Under the Hardware tab, exactly what does it say beside Disk Drives on the left hand side?

What is it your trying to download? What operating system are you using? Why is it you can't download this to your D:?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

Well I don't know that I have to install it onto my C drive, but it doesn't give me the option of choosing where I want to install it. I click save or install and it just immediately starts trying to save it onto my C drive and then tells me that I have insufficient room. I would love for it to give me the option of deciding where it is saved, but it doesn't allow me to.

Ok, I right clicked properties. Under the hardware tab, it lists "All disk drives" and then under that there are 5 listed. Two labeled Disk Drives that are titled WDC WD and then a bunch of letters and numbers, one called Floppy Disk Drive, and then two that are labeled as CD-ROM. The two labeled hard disk drives say "Location 0" and "Location 1" when clicked on. Anything else you need to know?

I am trying to download an online computer game. I am using Windows XP on a Sony Vaio computer. If there was a way to download it onto my D drive, that would be great, but I'm having no such luck.

Edited by Deuce McGee, 08 February 2009 - 06:37 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

Using Internet Explorer, right click the download link and click Save target as and the Save as box will pop up. At the top you should be able to choose your D: drive where it says Save in:. Make a new folder and save it there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

I'm trying to install World of Warcraft. From their website where I would download the game, all I can download is the Installer. I can save that to my D drive. From there I click on the installer to run it and it gives me no option as to where I want it to install. It just immediately attempts to download it onto my C drive and then tells me that it can't. The one time I talked to someone about it they mentioned that it is set to where it has to be on the same drive as windows. I guess they have it to where it will only download onto your C drive. Does that make any sense?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Ok, I'm with you now.

If you have two physical drives, and you seem to (although where you say "labeled Disk Drives that are titled WDC WD and then a bunch of letters and numbers", it would help to know those letters and numbers to be sure), you can't extend your C: partition to the D: drive. So you have two options:

1) Move whatever it is that is taking up space to your D: and uninstall unneeded programs and generally clean up the C: drive. However with a total space of 13GB it probably will still be too small.

2) Install XP on D: You can do this if you have your xp cd but you'll need to change some jumpers and a cable inside the case.

#7 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Ok. When I click Properties on my C: drive and check out the Hardware tab, the two Disk drives are labeled WDC WD600BB-53CAA1 and the other is WDC WD800BB-98DKA0.

As far as moving things from my C: drive to D: I've already moved all of my music to D: and I'm not really sure what else I can safely move to D: without it effecting my computer. The C: drive is so small to start with, I would have to clear up almost 5 GB of space and that would have to come from either the Program Files folder or the Documents and Settings folder, and the majority of that stuff I don't even recognize, let alone know if it is safe to move. I would love to just clear up enough room on C: though.

As far as installing XP onto my D: drive, that is also something that I would like to do, but knowing the problem that I am having, do you think that would help? What I mean is, do you think it would attempt to install it onto my D: drive if XP were there, or would it just continue attempting to put it on C:?

I appreciate your help.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

What I'm suggesting is that you make D: your C: and vice-versa by swapping the drives on the cable and changing the jumpers so your "new" C: now has lots of space.

Those model numbers indicate you have a 60GB (WDC WD600BB-53CAA1) and a 80GB (WDC WD800BB-98DKA0) drive there. Why do you say your C: is 13GB?

Edited by Leurgy, 08 February 2009 - 08:21 AM.

#9 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Well when I go to "My Computer" and I right click on my C: drive, it says that it has Used Space 11.7 GB, Free Space 2.24 GB, and a total capacity of 13.9 GB.

My D: drive has a capacity of 55.8 GB with 35.5 GB of free space. I also have an E: drive. I have never used it. It has a capacity of 54.5 GB and that same amount of free space.

Your suggestion of swapping my C and D drives sounds great. It seems like that would work well, but I'm sure it's pretty complicated.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

Ok so you have two drives with 3 partitions. Now we have to figure out which drive is partitioned. It looks like C: and E: are one physical drive and D: is the other. :thumbsup: I think, lol.

Go to Start then Run and type in compmgmt.msc and click ok. In the window that opens click on the + sign beside Storage on the left and then highlight Disk Management. On the right you will see the disk information. Post back with the info for Disk 0 and Disk 1. There shouldn't be any others besides the CD drive. A screenshot would be great if you want to try that.

How to take a screenshot.

Inserting an image within a post.

If you don't want to try that then just give us the info and we can discuss your options.

#11 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Ok, it looks like you were right. Next to Disk 0 it lists C: and 55-Gig E: It also lists a third unnamed there next to Disk 0 that is only 6.01 GB in total size. For Disk 1, next to it, it only lists 60-Gig D:

Let me know if you neeed anymore info.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm not real sure what your saying there. How about listing the info such as:

Disk 0 (Drive letter) (Size)
Disk 1 (Drive letter) (Size)

What make and model pc is this? A Dell? Acer? HP?

#13 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Disk 0 - C: 13.97 GB, 55-Gig E

Disk 1 - 60-Gig D:

For Drive 0 there is also a third one listed that has no name and is only 6.01 GB and says EISA Configuration.

All of the drives are listed as "Healthy"

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

What make and model pc is this? A Dell? Acer? HP?

The reason I ask that is I suspect that the 6.01 GB EISA Configuration is a recovery partition. Do you have an XP disk or Recovery disks?

If you want you can delete the C: and E: partitions (which will delete everything on them) and reinstall XP. This will give you about a 70GB C: drive.

#15 Deuce McGee

Deuce McGee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

It is a Sony Vaio computer. I don't think I have my XP Disk. Is that something that I would have to buy? Deleting everything and combining the C: and E: drives sounds like a good option because I can't really think of anything too important on them. Most things I've been downloading onto my D: drive lately due to the C: being so small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users