Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oneof4

oneof4

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

Computer was turned off w/o proper WinXP shutdown procedure. Wife said there was a strange "growling" noise coming from computer, and our son just turned it off using the main power button. This growling could have been a case fan, but since I just replaced all four, I'm concerned that it may have been the drive itself. Now when turning the computer on, the hard drive light will come on and remain on (no blinking, on solid) for approx. 20-25 seconds, then go off. The monitor does not come on, no POST screen, etc. Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
oneof4.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Have you tried unplugging the power cord to the computer, wait about 20 seconds, and then plug in the power cord and restart the computer again? I have not encountered one case in which forcing the computer to shut down would physically damage the hard drive.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Are you able to run a hard drive diagnostic? Many hard drive manufacturers have programs that you put onto a bootable disk that will scan your hard drive for problems.

3939.png

#4 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Have you tried unplugging the power cord to the computer, wait about 20 seconds, and then plug in the power cord and restart the computer again? I have not encountered one case in which forcing the computer to shut down would physically damage the hard drive.

Essentially yes, I turned the toggle switch off on the back of the PS, doesn't make a difference.

Are you able to run a hard drive diagnostic? Many hard drive manufacturers have programs that you put onto a bootable disk that will scan your hard drive for problems.

Haven't tried that yet. It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB parallel ATA, Date code: 22MAR2003.
What would be the best tool to use?

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#5 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

There is also a button other than the "Power" button to hot-restart the computer. Have you tried that?

Have you checked the BIOS set up and see if your hard drive is listed in the Boot Sequence section?

By the way, your hard drive is more than five years old. Most of my hard drives failed after a few years. I suspect that your hard drive may be approaching its end, and it's time to back up your important data if you haven't done so. If you cannot boot into that hard drive, you will have to use an enclosure and connect it to another computer to see if you can still access the files.

Edited by czhang, 08 February 2009 - 12:38 AM.

#6 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

There is also a button other than the "Power" button to hot-restart the computer. Have you tried that?

Have you checked the BIOS set up and see if your hard drive is listed in the Boot Sequence section?

By the way, your hard drive is more than five years old. Most of my hard drives failed after a few years. I suspect that your hard drive may be approaching its end, and it's time to back up your important data if you haven't done so. If you cannot boot into that hard drive, you will have to use an enclosure and connect it to another computer to see if you can still access the files.

Yeah, tried the "restart" button several times.

Computer never reaches POST screen, in fact the monitor never reacts at all.

So, if I plug this drive into an open IDE port on another computer, it may be possible to view and/or backup data files? I think that's what you are telling me to do in your last statement, but I just want to make sure.

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

This could be a larger problem than the hard drive, have you checked to make sure all cables are connected to the components in the computer? If the computer never reaches POST, the problem could be in another component. Have you tried disconnecting the hard drive from the PC then starting the computer to see if it will start? Can you try the hard drive in another PC, just to make sure it works?

3939.png

#8 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

This could be a larger problem than the hard drive, have you checked to make sure all cables are connected to the components in the computer? If the computer never reaches POST, the problem could be in another component. Have you tried disconnecting the hard drive from the PC then starting the computer to see if it will start? Can you try the hard drive in another PC, just to make sure it works?

You nailed it DJBPace07, I forgot that a computer should still make it to POST even w/o a hard drive. :thumbsup:
I went and tried firing it up w/o HD installed, and the condition is the same as mentioned in my previous description. In a sense, I'm relieved that the HD may be fine, but now I've got to figure out just what is hosing things up.

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

How did the improper shut-down occur? Try booting the PC with minimal hardware and see if it starts, I had a PC that refused to turn on when the video card blew out.

3939.png

#10 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Well, it appears that I may have a dead mobo. :thumbsup: I began removing components per your suggestion with no change, then I removed the RAM and tried to power up, same result. Removing the RAM should have resulted in a long beep from the mobo, but it did not. Do you guys concur?

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

The process of elimination would lead to the motherboard. Have you ruled out the power supply malfunctioning, just be sure it isn't that? Did the CPU fan even turn on with the motherboard? If the PSU is working normally and the motherboard is dead, you, obviously, are in the market for a new board. What CPU, GPU, and RAM do you have?

3939.png

#12 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

CPU fan, all 4 case fans come on, so it seems that the PS is working.

My system:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Socket A)
Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton Core)
2 x Corsair Platinum Series XMS 2700 (CMX256A-2700C2PT), Running Dual Channel for total 512M
ATI Radeon 5700 PRO 256MB

Edited by oneof4, 10 February 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#13 shawnhenry

shawnhenry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

First clean out the computer using some canned air (avail at any office supply store). Open the case and blow out the computer paying special atten to the power supply.
Then turn on the computer and after the boot screen, but before the windows boot screen, keep hit F8 till you get a menu. Choose to boot into safe mode. Once there go to my computer and right click c:. got to the tools tab and choose to run check disk. Reboot.
If you can not get to safe mode,and have a windows XP CD we can fix it still. Boot from the CD and when prompted to install or repair choose repair - installation # 1, hit enter for password. Then type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes. It will take a while.
If the problem is still there, boot from the CD again and choose install, accept the agreement, and choose repair when prompted to repair for the second time, this will look just like a install, but it is only replacing the system files.
Note: you can use any XP CD for this as long as it is the same version (home or Professional). So if you don't have one you might be able to borrow one.

Edited by usasma, 10 February 2009 - 11:17 AM.
Removed commercial links

#14 rexbenefit

rexbenefit

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

This is really weird but I am having the same issue with essentially the same set-up. Just began yesterday. Went to bed with puter running for updates. Woke up to locked up system, no keyboard or mouse response. Forced shut down then restarted the computer and nothing came up just like oneof4.

I did notice that the CD-ROM has a constant amber light and the light on the mobo is always green even when power is off. Never notices that light on after shutdown before.

I left the puter on for a Windows Update but can't see what was updated. There was no error messages showing on the screen either.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Socket A)
Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton Core)
Twin RAID 0 Configured 80GB HD - (can't remember manufacture offhand)
3 x Corsair Platinum Series XMS PC3200 512MB Running Dual Channel for total 1.5G
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB

#15 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

@ rexbenefit, :thumbsup:

How wild is that!!!

@ shawnhenry,

Thanks for the detailed instructions, but I can't even get to a POST screen where you begin tapping F8. BTW, I did try initially to boot to a WinXP CD, but no response.

My plan is to try to use a SOYO Dragon Ultra Platimum mobo that I have in my stash, the only issue is that it has a bum NIC controller. I also have a standard Dragon mobo that I know the NIC controller works on, and if they are the same (I think they are), I plan to remove the bad one and replace it with the good one, and then just pray and keep my fingers crossed.

Best Regards,
oneof4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users